11-10-2017, 18:30
Petra, Tanya and Rachel Haden were born on this day in 1971. They are the triplet daughters of the late great bassist Charlie Haden and all are accomplished singers and musicians. They have, in their individual capacities, performed and recorded with various bands and made one album together - The Haden Triplets. Tanya is a respected cellist, Rachel plays bass guitar, drums and keyboards and Petra is a violinist. Petra has carved out a little niche for herself recording a cappella versions of famous songs, and in one case, most notably an entire album - Petra Haden Sings: The Who Sell Out. She did the whole thing using only multiple layers of her voice, and this, courtesy of Wiki, is what Pete Townshend had to say about it …
“I was a little embarrassed to realize I was enjoying my own music so much, for in a way it was like hearing it for the first time. What Petra does with her voice, which is not so easy to do, is challenge the entire rock framework ... When she does depart from the original music she does it purely to bring a little piece of herself -- and when she appears she is so very welcome. I felt like I'd received something better than a Grammy.”
“Odorono” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDdU_26YMyg and "I Can See For Miles" from said album ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc6IqwM0Z_U
Her rendition of Bowie’s “Life on Mars” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL3gbEUFNws
And here's her “Goodbye Blue Sky” …
“I was a little embarrassed to realize I was enjoying my own music so much, for in a way it was like hearing it for the first time. What Petra does with her voice, which is not so easy to do, is challenge the entire rock framework ... When she does depart from the original music she does it purely to bring a little piece of herself -- and when she appears she is so very welcome. I felt like I'd received something better than a Grammy.”
“Odorono” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDdU_26YMyg and "I Can See For Miles" from said album ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc6IqwM0Z_U
Her rendition of Bowie’s “Life on Mars” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL3gbEUFNws
And here's her “Goodbye Blue Sky” …
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

