Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
What in your opinion makes a piece of music an outstanding track ?
#17
For me there's an emotional component to my labeling a track that I like as outstanding.  There's something I feel whenever it comes on that is somewhat of a deeper, reactive emotion that doesn't require any sort of intellectual analysis to achieve that.

Sometimes a track will be one that I consider outstanding immediately and other times a track will grow into that category after multiple times listening to it.

There are certain qualities in a track that will make it more likely to make my outstanding list.

1. Female vocals or dual female/male vocals
2. Strings, cello, violin or viola
3. Clever or interesting lyrics
4. Really interesting interplay between the vocals and the instruments

Sometimes it's the story the track tells that kicks it up into the outstanding category for me.  Other times the the intonation, phrasing or a certain something in the vocals will kick a song up into the outstanding category.

Although I can appreciate the artistry and talent in some tracks that others consider to be outstanding, if they don't resonate with me I won't consider them outstanding as well.

I've got a list of 292 songs that I consider outstanding from both well known and popular artists (The Beatles, Fiona Apple, Elton John, etc...) to obscure and lesser known artists (Vomit Launch, Zolof The Rock And Roll Destroyer, Please Do Not Fight, etc...)
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: What in your opinion makes a piece of music an outstanding track ? - by sjpolyguy - 04-10-2018, 03:32

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Billboard Music Charts For 2026 Music Head 48 16,980 29-09-2026, 11:39
Last Post: Music Head
  The Track I'm Listening To Is....................... gryphon 5,269 1,314,383 11-08-2026, 12:39
Last Post: Music Head
  White Town - Your Woman (Music Video) (1997) - Filming Locations Then and Now ChrisBungo 0 495 23-05-2026, 18:29
Last Post: ChrisBungo
  Billboard Music Charts For 2025 Music Head 75 63,673 23-12-2025, 13:26
Last Post: Music Head
  Tibetan Music for Relaxation and Healing Meditation clrichey 0 881 23-10-2025, 01:42
Last Post: clrichey
  Artistic Music Videos Sylwira 1 1,771 16-09-2025, 17:17
Last Post: ChrisBungo
  Billboard Music Charts For 2024 Music Head 68 23,319 24-12-2024, 13:52
Last Post: Music Head
  Who is your favorite DJ (music)? sing-a-long 2 2,627 18-02-2024, 06:13
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  my christmas haul of music CRAZY-HORSE 0 2,020 29-12-2023, 01:40
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Billboard Music Charts For 2023 Music Head 74 27,654 27-12-2023, 13:10
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE

Forum Jump: