28-11-2009, 01:13
Further to part 1 . It might be mentioned of a few formats that never took off at all . Phillips , who as I understnad brought us cassete launched a system "Digital Compact Cassete" That was a system which could still play the old type tapes . Looked promissing when lauched in the about 1994 , but ended in failier . Technics was the only other company I know made them . JVC as I recall tried this system which form what I can remeber was some type of very small recordble disc , Digital Anologe Tape I think it was called . Obvious that was going to be a non starter . Sony came up with Digital Audio Tape , something that looked like a very small cassete tape . Again got nowhere . They also did Mini Disc . That had a good go but I belive it too has bitten the dust though I belive it did find its place with people like reporter who need a small recoding machine . So I was once told . As I also once read , that was what cassette tape was originally meant for .
So , where next ? Well as it goes I really don't think downloads are going to take over completely yet . Still not everybody is in a position to do that . And as it goes , I still like to have it on something . Yes I use download , but I will still have the CD if I can get it .
Myslef I am one for storing music on something that can be inserted into and then removed form the player . So as you can imagine , things like MP3 palyers , Ipods etc are not for me .
These USB Memory Sitcks or whatever you care to call them could be the way things will go . I would certainly favour that . And such macines outside of the computers do exist . Certainly for in the car , and be it in intergrated into the DVD recorders in the home . Mind you tough , Sony do a USB player but that is for both Audio and Visual . And an oddball size so it wont stack on the HIFI .
Well other than that fact that I would love to here other peoples opinions on this one , I will round this , what many will find rather boring history lesson off with this . As I have mentioned in other threads , one war which has been fought , is between WMA and MP3 . WAV it seems never really stood a chance . Well it seems that MP3 is now winning hands down . Bit like the war between VHS and Betamax . VHS after a good fight finally won the day . And Vidio 2000 and 800 never stood a chance full stop . Well not here in the UK they didn't .
:blah:
So , where next ? Well as it goes I really don't think downloads are going to take over completely yet . Still not everybody is in a position to do that . And as it goes , I still like to have it on something . Yes I use download , but I will still have the CD if I can get it .
Myslef I am one for storing music on something that can be inserted into and then removed form the player . So as you can imagine , things like MP3 palyers , Ipods etc are not for me .
These USB Memory Sitcks or whatever you care to call them could be the way things will go . I would certainly favour that . And such macines outside of the computers do exist . Certainly for in the car , and be it in intergrated into the DVD recorders in the home . Mind you tough , Sony do a USB player but that is for both Audio and Visual . And an oddball size so it wont stack on the HIFI .
Well other than that fact that I would love to here other peoples opinions on this one , I will round this , what many will find rather boring history lesson off with this . As I have mentioned in other threads , one war which has been fought , is between WMA and MP3 . WAV it seems never really stood a chance . Well it seems that MP3 is now winning hands down . Bit like the war between VHS and Betamax . VHS after a good fight finally won the day . And Vidio 2000 and 800 never stood a chance full stop . Well not here in the UK they didn't .
:blah:

