29-11-2009, 16:36
goth metal raver Wrote:...III that I find myself enjoying the most. You can't go wrong with Immigrant Song and Since I've been loving you - plus the softer stuff on the second half (eg. Tangerine and That's the Way) really blows me away. There's a lot of good quality on this album and a maturity to some of the material but it never gets boring either.
Same here. Well put.
It took me a while to appreciate the acoustic stuff on Side 2, having been mostly into their heavy stuff and their popular standards up to that point. This album really grew on me.
If I had to pick a second favorite, I think I'd go with I. Though there are more classic songs and more original and refined material on later albums, their first one best captures their stage presence: the way they would seem to tear their own songs to barely recognizable bits in concert. Playing would become a religious experience, and the live version would take on a mind of its own.

