12-08-2021, 20:58
Happy Birthday to Mark Freuder Knopfler who is obviously in this thread already but who could probably do with a more worthy mention than I gave him the first time around! He’s 72 today. Despite his 434 appearances on various releases (according to Discogs) his solo albums number 9 so far – he has scored the music for 9 films too. He has made it clear that he’s not a huge fan of celebrity saying “… If anyone can tell me one good thing about fame, I'd be very interested to hear it." I love that he pops up in the least likely of places and it’s a constant source of amazement to me that he seems to practice such economy of movement while generating his distinctive sound – he really is singular.
I hadn’t ever listened to Shangri-La so that was on today’s agenda (chilled out album - super laidback - not hugely memorable and not terrible either) but there are many and varied tracks of his, or those that he plays on, that I simply love – these few are by no means all of them …
Had to link this from Bilibili as it is not to be found on YouTube – from the early days – love it – fluff ups ‘n all – maybe even because of them ? … https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1wx41137WZ/
“Why Worry” with the Everly Brothers, Chet Atkins and Michael McDonald … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iReXsGy9TE
This – from The Princess Bride – a total spoof of a movie – very endearing nonetheless … he scored the movie but only arranged this particular track which was written by Willy DeVille – I just like the way he’s so engaged … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svbv0ArjPGU
A number he has never recorded on an album and which he gave to Jeff Healey to record – the two of them here - quite remarkable! … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_35feaaz38Y
Such a great story in song – “Sailing to Philadelphia” … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnCK2LgeIvM
“Going Home” - just had to be included … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfXUyQsmXRk
With Bryan Ferry on Boys and Girls – “Valentine” … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIEP8MDKe8A
“Hill Farmer’s Blues” – from The Ragpicker’s Dream … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py9SDdYGFrQ
“Kingdom of Gold” – Privateering tour … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W01ahWz0qs
Could go on and on ad nauseum but will desist! So finally - a pretty fab live rendition of “Telegraph Road” I thought – mean keys too …
so in sync …
I hadn’t ever listened to Shangri-La so that was on today’s agenda (chilled out album - super laidback - not hugely memorable and not terrible either) but there are many and varied tracks of his, or those that he plays on, that I simply love – these few are by no means all of them …
Had to link this from Bilibili as it is not to be found on YouTube – from the early days – love it – fluff ups ‘n all – maybe even because of them ? … https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1wx41137WZ/
“Why Worry” with the Everly Brothers, Chet Atkins and Michael McDonald … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iReXsGy9TE
This – from The Princess Bride – a total spoof of a movie – very endearing nonetheless … he scored the movie but only arranged this particular track which was written by Willy DeVille – I just like the way he’s so engaged … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svbv0ArjPGU
A number he has never recorded on an album and which he gave to Jeff Healey to record – the two of them here - quite remarkable! … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_35feaaz38Y
Such a great story in song – “Sailing to Philadelphia” … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnCK2LgeIvM
“Going Home” - just had to be included … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfXUyQsmXRk
With Bryan Ferry on Boys and Girls – “Valentine” … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIEP8MDKe8A
“Hill Farmer’s Blues” – from The Ragpicker’s Dream … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py9SDdYGFrQ
“Kingdom of Gold” – Privateering tour … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W01ahWz0qs
Could go on and on ad nauseum but will desist! So finally - a pretty fab live rendition of “Telegraph Road” I thought – mean keys too …
so in sync …
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

