23-08-2021, 20:33
Happy Birthday to jazz/fusion guitarist and composer Terje Rypdal who was born on this day in Oslo, Norway, in 1947. He is referred to as 'tone poet' for his lyrical playing and quite rightly so; there's something about his work that is just compelling, IMHO - perhaps his sometimes rock-like sensibilities add to the appeal. Difficult to read much about him as his site does not translate into English - the most information I can muster at this time is from ECM, under whose auspices he has released at least 24 albums which is also not his entire discography (many collaborations with various ensembles) - https://www.ecmrecords.com/artists/14350...rje-rypdal
Clips seem to be in short supply suddenly too - except for YT's premium users, which I am not. This is the best available I can find ... it's a live rendition of "The Return of Per Ulv" from his album If Mountains Could Sing ... Miroslav Vitous (of Weather Report, and a myriad more groups) on the bass, and acclaimed Kashmiri percussionist Trilok Gurtu on everything else ...
Clips seem to be in short supply suddenly too - except for YT's premium users, which I am not. This is the best available I can find ... it's a live rendition of "The Return of Per Ulv" from his album If Mountains Could Sing ... Miroslav Vitous (of Weather Report, and a myriad more groups) on the bass, and acclaimed Kashmiri percussionist Trilok Gurtu on everything else ...
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

