05-09-2021, 16:19
Lars Danielsson was born on this day in 1958, in Gothenburg, Sweden. He is a jazz bassist and also plays the cello as well as producing. Thought I’d take a listen to his newly released collaborative album with Jan Lundgren (pianist) and Emile Parisien (sax) – it’s from a concert at a Jazz Festival that was held in Ystad fairly recently, the first time the three of them have performed together (after one rehearsal), and is called Into the Night. A fortuitous coming together after the drummer who was meant to have joined Lundgren and Danielsson had to bow out for Covid related reasons. The unlikely substitute of saxophonist for sticks man has led to something quite charmed IMHO. Funny how that happens sometimes.
As far as jazz is concerned, I get along far better with the contemporary European artists than any others. Generally speaking, their work seems more melodic, and they appear to have less rigid confines – there’s only so much highbrow improvisation I can stand - doesn’t compute well in my brain! Sunday afternoon music in a good way - soul food. I have to say, they are superb musicians and it's a real treat to hear playing that is so clean, clear and intuitive. The saxophonist is quite dazzling – he plays with a whole lot of feeling and very little bombast; there is nothing amiss with Lundgren either – fabulous keys, and Mr Danielsson, the subject of today’s birthday mention, holds it all down with admirable ease and flow. I particularly enjoyed this track – “Asta” … something about it tugged at my heartstrings …
As far as jazz is concerned, I get along far better with the contemporary European artists than any others. Generally speaking, their work seems more melodic, and they appear to have less rigid confines – there’s only so much highbrow improvisation I can stand - doesn’t compute well in my brain! Sunday afternoon music in a good way - soul food. I have to say, they are superb musicians and it's a real treat to hear playing that is so clean, clear and intuitive. The saxophonist is quite dazzling – he plays with a whole lot of feeling and very little bombast; there is nothing amiss with Lundgren either – fabulous keys, and Mr Danielsson, the subject of today’s birthday mention, holds it all down with admirable ease and flow. I particularly enjoyed this track – “Asta” … something about it tugged at my heartstrings …
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

