23-05-2022, 20:20
Richard “Rick” Fenn was born on this day in 1953, somewhere in the UK presumably, since he went to school in Oxford and on to study in Cambridge. He lives in Oz now it seems. He is a guitarist, can play the piano and also sing. He joined 10cc in 1976 (still with them, or what’s left of them!) and has collaborated with many others along the way: Nick Mason, Rick Wakeman, Mike Oldfield, Agnetha, Justin Hayward, John Wetton and more. I was interested to learn that he and Nick Mason had formed a company writing jingles in the 1980’s – he’s also scored loads of documentaries, dramas and comedies for TV, as well as a number of soundtracks for film and has received several big awards for some of the commercial stuff he’s done.
Thought something rang a bell – his debut album with Nick Mason – Profiles, which I'd stumbled upon before and about which Mason had this to say …
"I've certainly enjoyed working with Rick... I think it's useful and important to change the people you work with. You get so stuck in certain patterns. You know: Roger will do this and Dave will do that and... well, you can go and make the tea, Nick!" – from Wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profiles_(...enn_album)
This got some traction – one of the couple of tracks off the album that were not instrumental, compete with David Gilmour and Maggie Reilly … (incidentally, Fenn also gets co-writing credits on Mike Oldfield's "Family Man" - and not only that, he seems to have inspired the song ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PAFb4KDp1s)
Thought something rang a bell – his debut album with Nick Mason – Profiles, which I'd stumbled upon before and about which Mason had this to say …
"I've certainly enjoyed working with Rick... I think it's useful and important to change the people you work with. You get so stuck in certain patterns. You know: Roger will do this and Dave will do that and... well, you can go and make the tea, Nick!" – from Wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profiles_(...enn_album)
This got some traction – one of the couple of tracks off the album that were not instrumental, compete with David Gilmour and Maggie Reilly … (incidentally, Fenn also gets co-writing credits on Mike Oldfield's "Family Man" - and not only that, he seems to have inspired the song ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PAFb4KDp1s)
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

