Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
John Coltrane
#10
Since you are a sax player !!!!,,,are you familar with Jan Garbarek and who are some of your favorites..I also love (Professor)Anthony Braxton...very intelligent musical mind...avant garde and free jazz... also Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Sonny Rollins (for his long unbelievable sustained notes !!!!), Wayne Shorter for his unforgettable playing on Weather Report's - A Remark You Made,etc...so many more to mention !!!!
centermez Wrote:I'm a saxophone player, and I know that there are more John Coltrane emulators out there than any other Jazz Master. But for a good reason xD he's soooo good. I agree with SteveO, definitely check out Giant Steps. I transcribed that a while ago, and it's definitely one of my favorite pieces by him Smile

One of Coltrane's biggest steps in pioneering new and interesting Jazz Harmony was the interpolation of chords. Instead of using the standard ii-V-I progression (which is the most frequently occurring progression in jazz due to it's solo-bility) he would substitute chords over the ii-V-I, ending on the 'wrong' chord. But it sounded awesome... There's an entire world of jazz theory that he developed. If you're interested in further reading, you should check out Coltrane Changes. Smile
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply


Messages In This Thread
John Coltrane - by OKCATHY1 - 25-05-2011, 07:02
John Coltrane - by centermez - 06-12-2011, 18:30
John Coltrane - by SteveO - 07-12-2011, 01:49
John Coltrane - by centermez - 07-12-2011, 08:32
John Coltrane - by SteveO - 07-12-2011, 15:34
John Coltrane - by centermez - 07-12-2011, 15:39

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW SINGLE: Elton John & Brandi Carlile - "never too late" CRAZY-HORSE 0 909 26-11-2024, 12:54
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: John Coltrane With Eric Dolphy - Evenings At The Village Gate Music Head 0 1,018 30-07-2023, 11:10
Last Post: Music Head
  John Coltrane interview — Japan 1965 JonWR77 0 627 17-01-2022, 19:16
Last Post: JonWR77
  NEW SINGLE: Kane Brown & John Legend - Last Time I Say Sorry Music Head 0 722 13-04-2020, 11:31
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW SINGLE: Ozzy Osbourne ft Elton John "ordinary man" CRAZY-HORSE 0 770 11-01-2020, 07:22
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW SINGLE: John Legend - Happy Xmas (War Is Over) Music Head 1 1,159 02-01-2020, 01:12
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW SINGLE: John Mayer - I Guess I Just Feel Like Music Head 3 1,617 11-03-2019, 21:45
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
Heart John Teki - A DIFFERENT KETTLE OF FISH [PRE-SALE] Johnteki 0 1,075 30-06-2017, 16:30
Last Post: Johnteki
  John Mayer - The Search For Everything Music Head 0 1,083 28-04-2017, 13:27
Last Post: Music Head
  John Mayer - The Search For Everything: Wave One (ep) Music Head 0 1,143 01-02-2017, 12:59
Last Post: Music Head

Forum Jump: