05-08-2010, 16:02
Before I continue to give my opinion on this album, I feel that I should give you guys some "Jonathan History". I grew up and live in Texas. Thus, being the "rebel" that I am, I decided to hate country music for no reason. I know this is folk, but it fell into the same category for me. So this is probably the first folk album that I actually gave time to listen to, and I'll have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed it.
The album as a whole has been wonderful to hear. It was slow enough for me to enjoy, but upbeat enough to hold my attention. The opening track caught my attention, and I teared up a bit with the utterance of [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]"I and love and you"[/COLOR] at the end of the track. I don't know that it made me excited for the rest of the album, but it definitely set the mood for the rest of the album.
The next track, [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]"January Wedding"[/COLOR] was equally as strong, I cringed when I heard the opening twangs, but it was brief and the Avett Brothers vocals are captivating.
The album continues in an enjoyable manner. I never wanted to skip any tracks from sheer annoyance until I got to the end of [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]"Laundry Room"[/COLOR]. I understand that my dislike for the outro of this song is merely opinion, but the album picks back up immediately after with [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]"Ill with Want"[/COLOR] and [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]"Tin Man"[/COLOR].
[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]"Tin Man"[/COLOR] is a great track. I love the horns, and the vocals are so passionate.
[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]"Slight Figure of Speech"[/COLOR] would join my favorite tracks from this album. It is upbeat and has a very different sound to it.
Overall, very enjoyable album. I would say that it is an easy one to listen to. Definitely changes my view of folk music and I would listen to another album by the Avett Brothers.
I'd say [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]7/10[/COLOR].
The album as a whole has been wonderful to hear. It was slow enough for me to enjoy, but upbeat enough to hold my attention. The opening track caught my attention, and I teared up a bit with the utterance of [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]"I and love and you"[/COLOR] at the end of the track. I don't know that it made me excited for the rest of the album, but it definitely set the mood for the rest of the album.
The next track, [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]"January Wedding"[/COLOR] was equally as strong, I cringed when I heard the opening twangs, but it was brief and the Avett Brothers vocals are captivating.
The album continues in an enjoyable manner. I never wanted to skip any tracks from sheer annoyance until I got to the end of [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]"Laundry Room"[/COLOR]. I understand that my dislike for the outro of this song is merely opinion, but the album picks back up immediately after with [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]"Ill with Want"[/COLOR] and [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]"Tin Man"[/COLOR].
[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]"Tin Man"[/COLOR] is a great track. I love the horns, and the vocals are so passionate.
[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]"Slight Figure of Speech"[/COLOR] would join my favorite tracks from this album. It is upbeat and has a very different sound to it.
Overall, very enjoyable album. I would say that it is an easy one to listen to. Definitely changes my view of folk music and I would listen to another album by the Avett Brothers.
I'd say [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]7/10[/COLOR].

