04-10-2010, 18:25
Edwyn Collins…………………….Losing Sleep
Track One Losing Sleep Now does Edwyn sound like the Jam here or does the Jam take a lesson from Edwyn , either way it’s a good start , direct hard hitting and easy to listen to. It’s still the Collins we know and love !
Track Two What Is My Role ? : Edwyn looking into his part in all this!
Track Three Do It Again: A solid approach and a good lyric, a likable track which has fuzz guitar and a driving rhythm…………………
Track Four Humble: Piano leads us in to a song about a girl who makes Edwyn humble, this is a 2010 “Pretty Woman” approach and although it’s not Roy Orbison, its good enough!
Track Five Come Tomorrow, Come Today: Exciting and lively approach to a track about a more optimistic approach to life……Considering Edwyn’s medical history, you have to admire him!
Track Six Bored: Fuzz guitar and basic drum parts make sure that you are anything but bored here. This one had may feet tapping and I grooved along quite happily to another excellent track!
Track Seven In Your Eyes: A bit more of the Collins style, If I’m honest, I am finding him a bit too much the same!
Track Eight I Still Believe In You: A similar style here too, I think there comes a point, when it is time to abandon the same old style and try something different.
Track Nine Over The Hill: A look back over his musical career and the magical thought here from Edwyn is “ Nothings Changed“ He might not see it but, things have and he is beginning to seem old fashioned in my eyes!!
Track Ten It Dawns On Me: More of the same ………………………….
Track Eleven All My Days: At last a different approach…………and my does it come as breath of freash air.
Track Twelve Searching For The Truth: A nice ending track showing that when he comes out of the safety zone of his formulaic sound he can make a good original track.
Collins still has the touch of a magical songwriter and in 2010 still has a relevant and eye catching approach to song writing. However, I feel he does not really evolve ………………….He is inside that safe zone and that is a shame, because if he stepped outside a bit more often, he might surprise himself.
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!
It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown..............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown..............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )

