19-08-2008, 19:04
It's a good point.
There will always be a degree of cultural elitism I think. It can even occur where you'll hear someone say they used to like a band until they sold out (became popular). So a band is only good when it's part of an exclusive, elitist club, and popularity is enough to send the cultural elitists running for the hills.
On the other hand, some bands just get lazy and crap as they get older.
My fave band is Pink Floyd, so I'd have to say success is no barrier to me in whether I like a band or not.
There will always be a degree of cultural elitism I think. It can even occur where you'll hear someone say they used to like a band until they sold out (became popular). So a band is only good when it's part of an exclusive, elitist club, and popularity is enough to send the cultural elitists running for the hills.
On the other hand, some bands just get lazy and crap as they get older.
My fave band is Pink Floyd, so I'd have to say success is no barrier to me in whether I like a band or not.

