Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Week Forty Six............Waterfall Walls .............Swim The Mind.
#6
With the influences echoing many of my tastes, I really need to hear this album ASAP!

Also, it's great to see an up & coming band featured on the album review thread and the possibility of this forum playing a part in getting their music heard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, so I've listened to your album via your website and heres what I thought of each track. I wrote most of what's below whilst I was listening but everything a listen twice just to make sure:

1) 'The Drought'

First track of album bursts into life with some thunderous drumming after a very apt 'waterfall' intro. As soon as the crunching guitars and soaring vocals kick in I am immediately drawing comparisons to Grunge bands such as Alice In Chains or Soundgarden but I know besides the obvious influences there's something more to it than that. Can't put my finger on it as of yet. 4/5

2) 'Fold'

After the chaos of the first track this one opens with a sinister sounding riff akin to that of Alice In Chain's 'Rotten Apple'. Vocals sound very reminiscent but can't place who it is. I'll be frank, at this point after the promising intro I'm not enjoying the vocals on this one. Guitars sound great though! 3/5

3) 'The Rope & The Pole'


Returning to the crunch rock of the opener, this song showcases a much stronger side of the vocalist's abilities with a more harsher sound both musically and vocally than it's predecessor. Singer sounds very much like the late Layne Staley on this one. 4/5

4)'Regret'

Drum intro flows into a lighter guitar riff met with the familiar vocals again. Feel this is a major drop from the last few tracks and this song kind of drags its heels along the floor like my brother on a school morning. Didn't enjoy this one. 2/5

5) 'Waterfall Walls'

Similar intro to 'Fold' but a much more sombre feel to this one. Not long in there is a subtle drum solo before the song cuts out making it the first instrumental of the album. 2/5

6) 'Becoming One'

Flowed in from the instrumental this track is notable for being the lightest yet on the album with the vocals reduced to almost a whisper during the verses. Recurring riff is unspectacular and unfortunately it's another one of the tracks I ain't enjoying on this album. 2/5

7) 'Her Last Song'


Song opens with a delicate riff and steady drumbeat. Again, one of the lighter tracks on the album. Still the guitar work is unspectacular to me and vocals don't do it for me here again. Starting to lose interest at this point. 2/5

8) 'Zani Norp'

Much more interesting this time with a much more experimental track which sounds like someone is playing their kitchen utensils Smile. Although short lived, this is just what I like to hear! Fantastic! 4/5

9) 'The Groove System'

Opens with a lively drum beat and a very memorable riff which is much more lively than some of the others I've heard so far. Kind of moved away from the Grunge sound with this track which has more of a prog feel to it. I think this could be where Gryphon picked up on this in his review. Good track 3/5

10) 'Questions Unanswered'


Opens with a prog style guitar intro and it seems at this point that the darker, more grungier side to their music has been put aside and their progressive rock/metal influences are now shining through. I personally prefer this sound to the earlier tracks but the vocals are putting me off. 3/5

11) 'Inadequate Mind'


Slightly more distorted sound to this track but retains the form of the previous two. Enjoyed this one! 3/5

Overview

I have to say this turned out to be something of an anti-climax. After the intriguing album cover and all the music just didnt live up to the ocassion. Like I said before, it's the vocals which are ruining it for me. Music is good most of the time and I appreciate the experimental direction the band is taking but I feel as though another vocalist could do the music more justice. While I liked the tracks 'Drought' & 'Rope & Pole' and the few towards the end, around the mid-way point I was seriously losing interest.

Despite all of this I think one thing worth mentioning is that this band's strengths could lie in their live performances as I had already witnessed a live version of 'Fold' on youtube and thought it was very good! The dark effect of their music seems to have a much greater effect in live situations. Looking over my album review I can see that I didn't enjoy the studio version as much.

This is just my perception at the end of the day and I'm sure there will be a more enthusiastic audience out there for you so thanks very much for taking the time to share your music with us.

Lastly, here's the video I mentioned:
[video=youtube;h9maIkQMvms]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9maIkQMvms[/video]
"Blogging like Jesus, tweet like a Pope
Site traffic heavy, I'm YouTubing hope" - Wire- 'Blogging' 2015

"But me and you were not to blame
Love always returns from where it came
Back to black and in the end,
It's all the same."- Terry Allen 'Back to Black' 1996[URL="http://www.last.fm/user/mirrorball95"]




http://www.last.fm/user/mirrorball95[/URL]
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKpqmg_Xug0qMXDCJ1sdvMw


Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Week Forty*************Elvis Costello***************National Ransom gryphon 4 3,415 10-01-2012, 00:21
Last Post: CherieLuamboYampanyaStar
  Sex Pistols "never mind the bollocks" CRAZY-HORSE 4 4,993 12-08-2011, 17:48
Last Post: TraceNspace
  Week Thirty Eight...............Mirror Image Land. 7 ..............Matt 22 gryphon 20 9,195 22-07-2011, 06:57
Last Post: Matt 22
  Week Forty Eight............Cake..............Showroom Of Compassion gryphon 7 5,295 01-05-2011, 21:35
Last Post: CMB1888
  Week Thirty Nine...............Huey Lewis and the News ..............Soulsville gryphon 4 2,953 15-03-2011, 07:06
Last Post: fresk
  Week Forty Seven............Crystal Bowersox...............Farmer's Daughter gryphon 8 5,903 24-02-2011, 03:35
Last Post: casey mahoney
  Week Fifty One............Yani..............Touch Of Truth gryphon 2 3,524 13-02-2011, 14:06
Last Post: Music Head
  Week Forty Nine..................Greg Allman........Low Country Blues gryphon 3 4,094 01-02-2011, 22:17
Last Post: Music Head
  Week Fifteen......Half Past Four............Rabbit In The Vestibule gryphon 15 6,901 23-12-2010, 12:33
Last Post: Smithd
  Week Forty Four............Nicki Minaj..............Pink Friday gryphon 2 2,428 13-12-2010, 09:44
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE

Forum Jump: