20-04-2011, 10:33
Road Maps For The Soul Volume 1…………………The Wanderer
Track Two Stand Still in Time. I went straight into the second rack o see what was there. There was more of this strong and distinctive style. Again . it is intimate but striking, acoustic but electrifying.
Track Three Your Boots Don’t Fit Me Another strong guitar only song that has a deep impact on the listener.
Track Four All I Need Is Rock and Roll .Like many of these tracks this has” Demo” feel about it. I would be curious to hear how they would sound if they were fleshed out a little more, with maybe a bass , drums and keyboard.
Track Five Live Forever ( Not Just For Now) Another good strong effort .
Track Six I Don’t Wanna Have To Ask An indie sounding track : sounds to me that it is only in demo form. There is plenty of potential here, although this is like a black and white picture, when some colour is applied in the right places it will turn into a beautiful picture.
Track Seven You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away. A Beatle cover, done with strong vocal style but, the sound of the guitar hides the depth that the vocal has. If I had been involved I would have used a bit of guitar percussion to add depth. Stroke and caress that guitar not hammer and push it .
Track Eight I Wake Up. This has a nice feel and the guitar is well used to create a groove….The whole affect makes me think about coming out to see the player and Yes I will wake up because the vocal is pleading with me to do so! So far this is the best rack on the album.
Track Nine The Pie Of My Eye .Again there is force and energy here , the lyrics drive this along but somehow it does not fit together correctly with the guitar work.
Track Ten Hello . The last track and again it is strong but it can get the message across but, it does not project the correct blend between the music and the vocals.
There is talent and energy here along with passion and persistence but, as yet the vehicle does not run smoothly. All the bits work but, they don’t flow together to make something bigger than the sum of the parts.
The only criticism I would make is the guitar ……………….here is good player but, the guitar sound is rather two dimensional, its flat when perhaps a guitar with more character would add so much more to this album, if we would hear the song of a Gibson or a Martin in some of these tracks it would help to bring out what was there more .
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!
It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown..............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown..............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )

