Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Looking for Specific Type of Jazz
#11
Humblyden,

Sounds to me that you are looking for the reckless abandon prevalent in free and/or avant-garde jazz!

I prefer this type of jazz(listener since 1975) because you never know what's coming next. A good place to start would be Marshall Allen's - Sun Ra & his Arkestra. Heavy free jazz and themes of outer space music.

Check out Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz, John Coltrane - A Love Supreme, Art Ensemble of Chicago - Full Force, Carla Bley Orchestra- Escalator Over the Hill, and Anthony Braxton(anything or The Berlin /Montreux Concerts.. if you can find it). These are just a few but enough to get you started. The sound is at times wild,eratic, unstructured and " all over the place ".,,,a veritable feast for the ears !

There are also some free jazz/avant-garde jazz vocalists but start with the music I mentioned above. I researched the difference between free and avant-garde jazz and there's really no difference in either type as far as I could ascertain.

Let me know what you think of free jazz ! I am always willing to talk jazz and recommend artists.

SteveO
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply


Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Jazz Pianists and Drummers? Nick Dilley 19 7,906 09-07-2021, 09:10
Last Post: JeromeD
Video Jazz/Rock Fusion? Dissily Mordentroge 0 851 16-10-2019, 10:39
Last Post: Dissily Mordentroge
  unusual instruments in jazz jazzboCR 29 15,555 05-05-2017, 10:26
Last Post: Jerome
  I want to add new gems to my Soul & Jazz playlist (Spotify). Got any recommendations? Vaporsoul_feelings 1 1,368 15-01-2017, 01:25
Last Post: MFS
  The Smooth Jazz Chillout 7 - City Jazz daytime 0 1,472 19-06-2016, 01:53
Last Post: daytime
  Juxtaposition of Latin Jazz with Afro Soul- Samba Makossa single by Bachot Muna sylvestermusic 0 1,366 16-06-2016, 12:23
Last Post: sylvestermusic
  woman famous saxophone jazz thaonakun 0 1,578 19-04-2016, 03:21
Last Post: thaonakun
  Chantal Chamberland - Autobiography (Boozy Jazz) bebewewe 3 3,405 03-02-2016, 11:34
Last Post: bebewewe
  Jazz with piano focus Freakin 4 3,532 17-07-2015, 04:09
Last Post: jazzboCR
  Lady GaGa is a jazz singer jazzboCR 8 5,589 12-07-2015, 15:08
Last Post: Jane42

Forum Jump: