11-10-2008, 20:13
I personally believe that both Surfer Rosa and Doolittle are amazing landmark albums.
It's impossible to say that Nirvana was not directly influenced by the Pixies. As has been previously stated, Cobain flat out referenced them in multiple interviews. He even specifically stated that Smells Like Teen Spirit was pretty much created by him trying to rip off the Pixies.
So why is Nirvana considered the bigger band in some circles? Why is Nirvana the band that people immediately associate with that era? I think that they were just far more accessible and the timing was right. I'm not sure if there is any more to it than that.
It's impossible to say that Nirvana was not directly influenced by the Pixies. As has been previously stated, Cobain flat out referenced them in multiple interviews. He even specifically stated that Smells Like Teen Spirit was pretty much created by him trying to rip off the Pixies.
So why is Nirvana considered the bigger band in some circles? Why is Nirvana the band that people immediately associate with that era? I think that they were just far more accessible and the timing was right. I'm not sure if there is any more to it than that.

