Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Best professional guitarists
#30
Hi Mark,

That's why Tiggi and I started the CHit Chat Forum with the MD demographic poll to survey our members wrt male or female, age and music hero or favorite artist or group !!!! That way we know where everyone is coming from as far as their outlook on music is concerned. You can't expect us old hippies to appreciate Steve Vai now can you over say a Jimi Hendrix ???? I was only 14 when I first heard Jimi so he has had a profound impact on myself and millions of others ...the so called old hippies/...lol or Baby Boomers.

I know all about John Mayer, Joe Satriano and Steve Vai...is that it ...three super players ?????...any younger guys as good ????

The jazz scene has produced several master guitarists as well as those from the classical and country genre...that's why I don't put much creedence in BEST opinions as it's all subjective...how about that cat Django Reinhart or Pat Metheny !!!,,,etc....

The old classic rock players always had groups behing them and they were the lead vocal for the most part and were well known and popular with the music consumer. Good or bad the bottom line is that there are too many professional and amateur guitarists that simply play exteremely well !!!!

Unfortunately today's music is for the most part void of the Guitar Bands !!!! If there are any there pretty much obscure and have a limited or cult following ! Pop, hip hop, dance and electronica rule today's music for the mass music listener/consumer albeit the younger generation.

BB King once stated that playing the blues was like going to high school and playing jazz , you're in university ! I've known a few professional guitarist in my day, none of them famous, but good enough to make a living. I asked them about jazz players and they say I love jazz guitar but it's too difficult or it's sick to use a modern slang ! I asked a friend of mine recently who has made a living playing country, hard rock and blues who his favorite was ,,,his answer - Canadian legendary jazz guitarist Lenny Breau...go figure ?
Mark William Wrote:Are you guys all old hippys or what??? These players are all from the old old days. Stuff that we played in high school and then in bar bands for 20 years. Now let me clarify....I played them because they were not hard to play and I believe many others did the same or these guys wouldn't have been covered so much. SteveO'S Jazz picks aside. Al DiMiola had some hard ass chops to duplicate and the others as well.
Today, there are guys out there that rip these older players apart in technical abilities and just all around musicianship. Steve Vai has got to be one of the best guitarists walking the earth today. Not only is he a brilliant guitar player, the guy composes symphonies with world famous composers (like his old band leader Zappa). Have you guys ever heard of Andy Timmons? That kid eats his guitar and spits it out and it still sounds like heaven on earth. John Mayer....c'mon...that kid can friggin play! Even guys like Joe Satriani (Mr. Pentatonic, 1,4,5 soloist) does what guys like Clapton and young were doing only a bazillion times faster and more proficiently.
Sorry guys.....that old school minor pentatonic stuff is gone gone gone.....those guys are like the gunfighters at the turn of the century. They'll be remembered fondly but the new and improved guitar slingers have moved in.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Best professional guitarists - by ambernector - 25-11-2009, 19:48

Forum Jump: