Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Keyboard Or Midi?
#4
imurtaza Wrote:I'm a musician and I currently own a Guitar and a blue yeti microphone and I usually cover songs or try some tunes of my own. My question is that I want to produce music now on my own. Should I buy a Keyboard or a Midi? What do I need?
Does a Midi also work as a keyboard for recording into the computer? I wont be performing live so thats not an concern
Please reply..

You ask - should I buy a midi or a keyboard. The answer is - buy an 88 key midi keyboard. There are many types out there. My main midi keyboard is a Roland A37. It's quite old now but still reliable. You will need an audio interface that has an input for your guitar (high impedance) and midi inputs as well. A powerful PC with a good set of near field monitors and you are good to go. A full scale midi keyboard will allow you to do just about anything. Just add imagination.

I would also advise buying Paul White's 'The Producer's Manual'. He is the editor of Sound on Sound magazine. He has done many reviews of the products he mentions in the book, so he knows what he is talking about.

A last point - MIDI is a protocol - a language used between midi devices (or controllers). You can't buy a 'midi' as such, only a device that is midi-enabled, like a keyboard, wind controller or midi enabled guitar etc. etc.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Keyboard Or Midi? - by imurtaza - 19-01-2013, 16:26

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ive just bought a keyboard Mrrusty1 6 4,114 15-04-2022, 09:14
Last Post: JeromeD

Forum Jump: