Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
What's the best way to really get back into music.
#10
Just as a sidenote - I used to play with a group of mates in local pubs years ago. Mainly folk stuff, Dylan, Young, Rodriguez, CSN&Y, Jackson Browne etc and I used to really enjoy it. Then I got involved in contracting (IT, oil companies etc) and there wasn't really much time for playing and we all went our separate ways. Then a couple of years ago at age 45 I decided it was time to start looking at music again. It was a long road back and it takes a lot of discipline to sit down every day and make the time to play. But slowly over the last few years I have been developing and writing new material (some folk rock, some esoteric instrumental stuff) and I am starting to enjoy it again. The important thing is you have to have fun doing it and you have to play every day to keep the momentum going and to keep your skills honed. If you don't use it you lose it. Set realistic goals, stick to them and the rest will fall into place. I am now 50 plus and getting back to where I used to be 30 years ago. And having a lot of fun doing it while making a (very) modest amount doing it as well.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Reply


Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bleeding Hearts new music! Bleeding Hearts 1 2,915 29-12-2016, 08:13
Last Post: Jerome
  Just joined and looking for a mentor on songwriting and music producing. Sloaner 0 2,864 18-07-2016, 05:07
Last Post: Sloaner
  Neglecting my music polythenepam 4 3,190 23-09-2015, 11:40
Last Post: JJ24
  Tired of short term Music Gig? iyrie936 3 2,432 28-05-2014, 17:21
Last Post: Music Head
  Your opinion: does music need words? Ella 51 23,625 09-10-2013, 23:56
Last Post: JamesRLogan
  My Music FrancisDale 4 3,764 28-05-2013, 23:35
Last Post: mdsujaan
  the origin of traffic music miltk 0 1,764 16-02-2013, 10:17
Last Post: miltk
  One man music production, need feedback! noiseflor 1 1,906 19-11-2012, 04:46
Last Post: Jerome
  Open source music emrebozak 1 1,865 22-03-2011, 18:32
Last Post: Tiggi

Forum Jump: