Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Bands you don't understand?!
#22
Certain artists commonly thought of as overrated are figureheads for group identification. So-called "heartland" artists like Bruce and John Mellonhead speak to common, folksy things like hanging out in familiar places, blue-collar hardship, attachment to home state, home town, etc. The Dead are figureheads for the hippies; the Clash for punks.

If you want to make big bucks in the music business, find a large flock of sheep and sing to them in their language. That's not to say that the above bands are not good, sincere, or that all of their fans are sheep, but to understand scale of their appeal, I think you have to look beyond their music and to their image, what they represent on an emotional level, etc.

As for any that I'm totally clueless about within the rock category (Don't get me started on pop.), I guess I'd have to say Van Morrison. Apart from Brown Eyed Girl, I find his songs very boring. He doesn't have a strong enough image to be a figurehead. He's just sort of been there all these years, making albums here and there, and putting me to sleep.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Bands you don't understand?! - by Kochie - 02-07-2008, 11:29

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  All-Female tribute bands jazzboCR 11 5,009 21-08-2015, 00:30
Last Post: zcarenow
  Eurythmics - I Saved The World Today Looking for similar tracks / bands, robbi270 0 1,110 23-07-2014, 00:18
Last Post: robbi270
  Top 10 rock bands ever wardsmith 52 20,304 16-08-2013, 15:23
Last Post: SteveO
  Top 5 Rock Bands of All-Time Kurt Staley 30 15,237 25-03-2013, 03:29
Last Post: LMD
  Need help finding similar sounding Bands/Songs... Luca 5 2,609 02-12-2012, 15:51
Last Post: SteveO
  The KInks one of my favourite bands Mrrusty1 8 3,554 04-09-2012, 09:26
Last Post: Mrrusty1
  Favorite Girl Singers/Bands coykiesaol 37 12,748 10-08-2012, 09:18
Last Post: Jerome
  It seems odd to not see much on here about Jam bands... gater 5 2,202 20-08-2011, 19:04
Last Post: gater
  old bands new music? Rocker720 28 12,198 15-08-2011, 01:15
Last Post: SteveO
  Which genre do these bands go into? coykiesaol 8 3,324 18-07-2011, 17:36
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE

Forum Jump: