Hi Audrey,
I listen to a few Old School Irish Punk bands - Stiff Little Fingers, Undertones, Boomtown Rats, Black 47, Horslips (some of theri stuff could be considered punk too)
Then there is the Celtic (not just Irish) Punk stuff- Pogues, Dropkick Murphys, Real MacKenzies, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The Skids, Flogging Molly, The Real Ones
Newer heavy Irish Bands - Therapy?, Chosen
As to why Irish Punk is not as popular is that there just is not nearly as many bands that have been heard from outside of Ireland - distribution is a bear! I remember reading that (I think it was) Bob Geldof was so thankful that Phil Lynott & Thin Lizzy took them and others (possibly U2 & Cactus World News) under their wing and found them gigs outside of Ireland to help them get a name and better distribution elsewhere.
evilB
(by the way, welcome to the board)
I listen to a few Old School Irish Punk bands - Stiff Little Fingers, Undertones, Boomtown Rats, Black 47, Horslips (some of theri stuff could be considered punk too)
Then there is the Celtic (not just Irish) Punk stuff- Pogues, Dropkick Murphys, Real MacKenzies, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The Skids, Flogging Molly, The Real Ones
Newer heavy Irish Bands - Therapy?, Chosen
As to why Irish Punk is not as popular is that there just is not nearly as many bands that have been heard from outside of Ireland - distribution is a bear! I remember reading that (I think it was) Bob Geldof was so thankful that Phil Lynott & Thin Lizzy took them and others (possibly U2 & Cactus World News) under their wing and found them gigs outside of Ireland to help them get a name and better distribution elsewhere.
evilB
(by the way, welcome to the board)

