Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
How do you start off a song?
#43
Seamusblonde Wrote:What makes you start writing a song? Do you start with the lyrics or the music....or both?

I have two very different writing processes that both have their place in my regimen. One involves constructing a song entirely around a melody that comes first. This will usually happen in the shower / doing laundry / cooking dinner or any other mindless activity that causes my brain to fall into a little flow and spit out something that catches my interest. Its either a lyric, a melody or a rap line...at that point I will mentally construct an instrumental that nestles it perfectly and captures whatever the feeling at the time is. These songs are usually much more simple and catchy, with lyrics that make sense.
When I'm feeling saucy and important, I like to make things difficult. This will usually start with a complicated guitar part or a very specific but personally significant chord progression. I will then construct an instrumental around it not based on what most naturally spews from my brain, but from what logically seems to follow each part in the most impressive manner. If a song like this ever ends up having vocals, chances are the lyrics are symbolic and expressive of feeling and emotion only and probably don't conventionally mean anything at all. That's because at the time I'm much more worried about the formulaic calculation of what sounds the coolest rather than trying to say something specific. These songs might not make the best first impression but they are often of equal or greater personal/objective significance when all is said and done.

Keep in mind that I don't have any formal training or teaching in music, so when I say 'logically follows' and 'formulaic calculation' I'm really more bullshitting than talking about music theory, but that's how it feels.
Reply


Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Soul (song) sing-a-long 0 1,633 09-04-2023, 18:39
Last Post: sing-a-long
  How do you write songs? How do you start and don't give up too soon? Natalia Sanderson 6 5,901 05-04-2021, 20:48
Last Post: vincent
  Which song lyrics do you like the best? Ledzepp 35 29,115 27-09-2016, 19:51
Last Post: oldies65
  Khaled Ajashi new own Song! LittleDun 0 2,792 25-09-2016, 02:32
Last Post: LittleDun
  Instrumental. New Song. Curious 0 2,344 21-03-2016, 09:58
Last Post: Curious
  New song we finished a couple weeks ago... Thoughts? good or bad. aurora4dth 3 3,828 27-02-2016, 10:51
Last Post: Jerome
  2016 French song Ozamindia 0 1,787 14-01-2016, 12:46
Last Post: Ozamindia
  Please check out this video of a new song that i wrote newriot 1 2,801 14-01-2016, 12:44
Last Post: Ozamindia
  Original song :))) MAYAN 1 2,337 14-01-2016, 12:43
Last Post: Ozamindia
  Original song! KahanoBeats_Bros - Stormy Night KahanoBeats_Bros 0 1,996 27-08-2015, 18:39
Last Post: KahanoBeats_Bros

Forum Jump: