Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Other Interests
#42
trbc08 Wrote:I think I could understand being more of an Anglophile if I lived in Europe. There have been some great English writers (two of my favorites being Irish, Wilde and Yeats). I suppose I'm speaking from the perspective of a culturally stunted American, which many of us (Americans) are.

It'd be nice to read philosophical texts in their original language... Some of them are difficult enough to read in your native language, though, at times. Nietzsche is a notable exception.

America's got that multi-cultural thing going on that broadens the cultural horizon. I think less diverse countries are more culturally sterile, a longer history doesn't always cut it. If you mean that some Americans are culturally stunted - that happens everywhere (even in the land of saints and scholars).

I'm not so bothered about philosophy but if I could read something in the native language, I love to be able to read Irish poetry properly, my Irish isn't good enough to do that as well as I'd like.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Other Interests - by Tiggi - 04-09-2008, 17:55

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apart From Music What Other Interests /Hobbies/ Things Do We All Do ? gryphon 30 12,135 15-10-2018, 05:14
Last Post: sjpolyguy
  Looking for musicians with alike interests Electric Velocity 2 1,519 14-05-2014, 13:27
Last Post: Jerome

Forum Jump: