05-07-2009, 05:01
Beach Wrote:I'm glad that you feel it is stupid to become involved in such things as drugs. It would be interesting to know where you got the information about Leadbelly (one word by the way - not two) "dabbling in drugs". I had never heard of his using anything apart from a 44 to kill a man for which he wound up in jail. :confused:
Winehouse is, as far as I'm concerned anyway, a talentless trout - not because she uses drugs of any description but because that is what she is!
First of all Lead Belly is known as both "Leadbelly" and "Lead Belly." As in the "Lead Belly Foundation" and "Lead Belly: A Life in Pictures." Oh, also, Lead Belly himself spelled it "Lead Belly." And his tombstone says "Lead Belly."
See:
http://www.deltablues.net/lead3full.jpg
You can also read the wikipedia entry on "Lead Belly." Normally I don't use wikipedia as a reference, but I think in this case it is ok, being that I already used his own tombstone first.
My assumption that Lead Belly used drugs was based purely on listening to "Take A Whiff On Me." You may be correct in your assumption that he did not ever try cocaine, but the fact is that neither of us will know for sure. I admit that I should not have used his name in my original post.
Maybe I wasn't clear in trying to communicate my thoughts on Ms. Winehouse. I believe she deserved those awards. But, thats not saying a whole lot. Look at who she was up against. Amy Winehouse is an above average female artist. Not great by any means. I don't even really like to listen to her. But she is four million times more talented than any of the other popular artists these days. I just feel it is of bad taste to judge her for her lifestyle.
This post probably won't be posted for a while because I am new to the forum, so I apologize before hand for the delay.
"You can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." -Dr. Timothy Leary
http://iamthekman.blogspot.com/
http://iamthekman.blogspot.com/

