03-07-2009, 18:40
soulkat9 Wrote:I agree with this, and also the fact that shes supposed to atleast attempt to be some sort of role model for her younger fan base and shes admittedly smoking crack and doing songs about going to rehab...I dont think she should be awarded with anything
Being talented and a great musician has nothing to do with being a role model. Look at the greats: Janis Joplin, Keith Richards, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, even Bob Dylan. They all did drugs very openly, and certainly were not very good role models. Even people such as Miles Davis and Lead Belly dabbled in drugs. Personaly I think it is very stupid to get involved in such horrible things. Those awards aren't given out to people for being a good role model, theyre for being a good musician. Plain and simple. As far as talent goes I think that Amy Winehouse is a little above average as far as vocals go, and very talented as far as songwriting goes. Thats more than I can say of just about any other female artist in today's world.
Another question you should consider: Did freebasing cocaine make Richard Pryor any less funny? I think we can apply the same logic to Amy Winehouse. Its a tragedy she is involved with the stuff she is. But she has a disease and she needs help. That doesn't make her any less talented.
"You can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." -Dr. Timothy Leary
http://iamthekman.blogspot.com/
http://iamthekman.blogspot.com/

