Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
amy winehouse
#28
Kmanfitz Wrote:First of all Lead Belly is known as both "Leadbelly" and "Lead Belly." As in the "Lead Belly Foundation" and "Lead Belly: A Life in Pictures." Oh, also, Lead Belly himself spelled it "Lead Belly." And his tombstone says "Lead Belly."

See:
http://www.deltablues.net/lead3full.jpg

You can also read the wikipedia entry on "Lead Belly." Normally I don't use wikipedia as a reference, but I think in this case it is ok, being that I already used his own tombstone first.

My assumption that Lead Belly used drugs was based purely on listening to "Take A Whiff On Me." You may be correct in your assumption that he did not ever try cocaine, but the fact is that neither of us will know for sure. I admit that I should not have used his name in my original post.

Maybe I wasn't clear in trying to communicate my thoughts on Ms. Winehouse. I believe she deserved those awards. But, thats not saying a whole lot. Look at who she was up against. Amy Winehouse is an above average female artist. Not great by any means. I don't even really like to listen to her. But she is four million times more talented than any of the other popular artists these days. I just feel it is of bad taste to judge her for her lifestyle.

This post probably won't be posted for a while because I am new to the forum, so I apologize before hand for the delay.
OK - a couple of things here!
Yes, his name is written as two words on the tombstone however, that doesn't make it correct and I have never seen it written as such more than one or twice in my entire life. It's a litlle like the odd burke who writes me down as 'Beach Head', 'Beachead' and when I tell then that is incorrect they still stare strangely and say, "Are you sure?"
At this point I usually open up a dictionary for them - though not a Webster's as Merriam Webster has managed enough damage to the English language without anybody else helping him.
As to 'Take A Whiff On Me' (a.k.a. Cocaine Habit), this is only attributed to Leadbelly & Alan Lomax when on one of his recordings. It is originally a 'traditional' (read Public Domain) composition for which every bugger and his dog stakes a claim and is very popular among 'Jug Bands'.
And
:puke:'Whinehouse' (intentional) still can't sing! Sorry my friend.
Beachie
www.beachblues.org
http://au.youtube.com/beachblues


Enjoy the fruits of life, for the fruits of death are few. (©Rod Jeffery 1990)
Reply


Messages In This Thread
amy winehouse - by sarahann - 24-01-2008, 15:36
amy winehouse - by Tiggi - 03-02-2008, 18:35
amy winehouse - by chalkie - 13-02-2008, 22:40
amy winehouse - by Beach - 30-03-2008, 00:28
amy winehouse - by manicminer - 30-03-2008, 18:29
amy winehouse - by Beach - 30-03-2008, 23:08
amy winehouse - by trbc08 - 14-05-2008, 01:02
amy winehouse - by vinyldisc - 26-07-2008, 23:23
amy winehouse - by sarahann - 27-07-2008, 00:17
amy winehouse - by Beach - 27-07-2008, 01:19
amy winehouse - by trbc08 - 27-07-2008, 07:03
amy winehouse - by Beach - 27-07-2008, 07:20
amy winehouse - by JesustheMexicanBoy - 29-07-2008, 01:48
amy winehouse - by trbc08 - 29-07-2008, 07:15
amy winehouse - by sass13 - 02-08-2008, 14:15
amy winehouse - by Beach - 15-08-2008, 23:28
amy winehouse - by Tiggi - 25-10-2008, 17:12
amy winehouse - by amaezing19 - 07-11-2008, 20:45
amy winehouse - by Beach - 08-11-2008, 04:46
amy winehouse - by Palmer - 08-11-2008, 19:38
amy winehouse - by soulkat9 - 10-02-2009, 22:52
amy winehouse - by Kmanfitz - 03-07-2009, 18:40
amy winehouse - by Beach - 05-07-2009, 00:27
amy winehouse - by trbc08 - 05-07-2009, 01:11
amy winehouse - by Beach - 05-07-2009, 01:17
amy winehouse - by Kmanfitz - 05-07-2009, 05:01
amy winehouse - by Beach - 06-07-2009, 23:48
amy winehouse - by trbc08 - 07-07-2009, 00:20
amy winehouse - by Kmanfitz - 07-07-2009, 00:46
amy winehouse - by Beach - 07-07-2009, 01:02
amy winehouse - by Kmanfitz - 12-07-2009, 04:10
amy winehouse - by Kmanfitz - 12-07-2009, 04:36
amy winehouse - by trbc08 - 12-07-2009, 11:55
amy winehouse - by Kmanfitz - 12-07-2009, 13:30
amy winehouse - by gretedk - 21-01-2012, 12:40
amy winehouse - by Amanda - 03-02-2016, 15:13
amy winehouse - by Inna Selez - 31-10-2016, 16:53
amy winehouse - by Inna Selez - 31-10-2016, 16:54
amy winehouse - by Inna Selez - 02-11-2016, 19:06
amy winehouse - by Inna Selez - 02-11-2016, 19:07
amy winehouse - by Inna Selez - 06-12-2016, 20:18
amy winehouse - by tomhank1511 - 13-12-2016, 10:59
amy winehouse - by ClassicalIsTheBest - 13-12-2016, 13:34
amy winehouse - by Jerome - 14-12-2016, 11:27
amy winehouse - by CRAZY-HORSE - 14-12-2016, 15:31
amy winehouse - by Jerome - 14-12-2016, 16:27
amy winehouse - by Inna Selez - 23-03-2017, 21:15

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amy Winehouse News Music Head 9 4,400 29-06-2010, 13:39
Last Post: vinyldisc

Forum Jump: