07-07-2009, 00:46
Beach Wrote:OK - a couple of things here!
Yes, his name is written as two words on the tombstone however, that doesn't make it correct and I have never seen it written as such more than one or twice in my entire life. It's a litlle like the odd burke who writes me down as 'Beach Head', 'Beachead' and when I tell then that is incorrect they still stare strangely and say, "Are you sure?"
At this point I usually open up a dictionary for them - though not a Webster's as Merriam Webster has managed enough damage to the English language without anybody else helping him.
As to 'Take A Whiff On Me' (a.k.a. Cocaine Habit), this is only attributed to Leadbelly & Alan Lomax when on one of his recordings. It is originally a 'traditional' (read Public Domain) composition for which every bugger and his dog stakes a claim and is very popular among 'Jug Bands'.
And :puke:'Whinehouse' (intentional) still can't sing! Sorry my friend.
This is a scan of a letter written by Lead Belly himself:
Blues LEAD BELLY LEDBETTER - Autograph Ltr Signed
notice the "Lead Belly" at the top
The Lead Belly Foundation, founded "by Tiny Robinson, niece of Huddie Ledbetter to preserve and promote the musical legacy of the âKing of the
12-string guitarâ" recommends the spelling Lead Belly, because that is how Lead Belly himself spelled it. You can see the foundation's website can be seen here:
Untitled Document
You can email the foundation too like I did if you want and ask if you don't believe me.
The recording companies got it wrong back in the day and it stuck. I spell it with two words because that is how Lead Belly himself did it. I think Lead Belly would know the correct spelling of his own name.
"You can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." -Dr. Timothy Leary
http://iamthekman.blogspot.com/
http://iamthekman.blogspot.com/

