18-08-2014, 21:00
SteveO Wrote:and then there is Cornell !!!!..such a tasteful player!
Bit of an overstatement to bestow the title musicologist--I'm just a guy that likes all kindsa music and has need of sharing--"music nut" is closer, I think. Not pooh-poohing--I just know what I am.
Now when I think of guitarists that are tasteful and restrained but always genuinely jazz albeit with a funky edge, Mr. Dupree and Eric Gale come immediately to mind, with Pat Martino not trailing far behind. Mr. Gale had a wonderful career before cancer cut him down in his prime: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Gale Not to be a knot-head one-upper but here's Mr. Martino on the same song (what great bones it has!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q742ZgZC28 << backed by the superior Joey D. on B-3 and rhythm mate Byron Landham, with the under-rated John Scofield. Hardly gets better and I've heard this trio do this live in a funky Philly venue, with another terrif local sax player. What a night!
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR

