Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
My custom-made bass from start to finish
#4
[Image: aa7aacb25ea1cc7ac2b910e0b24cc55f.jpg]
In January of 2015, one year later, I drove back to Muskegon to get my bass. My instructor, also a good friend, went with me. We took the bass to his house and he held it up for me so I could get photos.

[Image: 8ff086bebb1b859079e8549337bdc847.jpg]

[Image: 7f258e67645bc662b6379b606e373172.jpg]

[Image: cf47283b3a4e4f1b26441dd9a6c2e9c4.jpg]
This is called an Occitan cross--the official seal of Count Raymond V of Toulouse dating from 1165. Occitania is a region in southern Europe--mainly France. Dan and his band had gone to France in late summer and he sent me photos he had taken. One showed a type of cross carved on a wall and I told he'd have to put that on my bass since I wanted my bass to have medieval themes. I found this particular version on the internet and sent it to Dan saying that I wanted it carved on the back but he said that would compromise the wood. He suggested either inlay--very expensive--or oil painting--less expensive. He then would varnish o'er the paint making it permanent. So I said ok. He knows this lady who oil paints on instruments and hired her.

[Image: a4f7a1ca47f83d3c1bbf238cbd449fbe.jpg]
The lady decided that the cross by itself look a bit bare so she added a fleur-de-lys at the top and bottom. That was nice of her and it looks fantastic.

[Image: 17f2d8445ff32506b86b75d4c101ab9e.jpg]
Reply


Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favourite bass player Jerome 2 1,887 06-02-2016, 03:52
Last Post: jazzboCR
  Check out our new website for bass players! boxbox12 1 1,244 05-04-2014, 21:27
Last Post: Jerome
  Which song has made you repeat it all day long? Mona200 4 2,300 20-02-2014, 01:46
Last Post: jazzboCR
  Please watch this boring video I made mtthwibrahim 0 1,183 04-08-2011, 01:15
Last Post: mtthwibrahim
  Best City to Start a Band. PaintsWithSound 4 2,512 26-02-2011, 22:37
Last Post: PaintsWithSound
  We have made a start gryphon 1 1,396 09-02-2011, 11:03
Last Post: greyan
  The Double Bass Section ambernector 1 1,657 02-02-2009, 16:27
Last Post: Tiggi

Forum Jump: