Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 5 Average
greatest australian singers...
^dam I hate that! blocked video!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
maybe this one will work SteveO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyygqGMiAo "dear prudence" live
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

number 25: IAN MOSS

[Image: 354445-top-singers-of-all-time.jpg]

Ian Richard Moss (born 20 March 1956) is an Australian rock musician from Alice Springs. He is the founding mainstay guitarist and occasional singer of Cold Chisel. In that group's initial eleven year phase from 1973 to 1984, Moss was recorded on all five studio albums, three of which reached number one on the national Kent Music Report Albums Chart. In August 1989 he released his debut solo album, Matchbook, which peaked at number one on the ARIA Albums Chart. It was preceded by his debut single, "Tucker's Daughter", which reached number two on the related ARIA Singles Chart in March. The track was co-written by Moss with Don Walker, also from Cold Chisel. Moss had another top ten hit with "Telephone Booth" in June 1989.
At the ARIA Music Awards of 1990 Moss won five categories: Album of the Year, Best Male Artist, Breakthrough Artist - Album, Single of the Year and Breakthrough Artist - Single. Since then his solo music career has been more low-key, his other top 50 albums are Worlds Away (November 1991), Let's all Get Together (July 2007) and Soul on West 53rd (November 2009). In 1993 Cold Chisel, with Moss as a member, were inducted into the ARIA Hall of Fame. Moss has participated with periodic Cold Chisel reunion tours or new studio albums in 1998, 2003 and from 2009 to 2012 (as from August 2013).
Moss formed blues rock band Cold Chisel in the late 1970s and wrote many of their biggest hits. he sang on a couple of tracks per album but it was aminly the ones sung by jimmy Barnes that were the singles,
"bow river" would probably be his most famous song and he did sing on their hit single "saturday night" from their "circus animals" album from 1984.
he has released several solo albums, "matchbook" his debut solo set was his biggest seller, and he still draws huge crowds on his solo tours downunder...
below is a live link for the blues rock of "bow river" that does sum Moss up as a singer and writer of music

[video=youtube;y2by810nulE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2by810nulE[/video]
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

my thoughts on Ian Moss...
gotta pay due respects to this guy as he either wrote or sang some of the most iconic Aussie blues/blues rock from the 70s and 80s...this guy was solely responsible for Cold Chisel being bigger here than AC/DC ever were, he is a legend of the Aussie music scene, to clarify what ive posted here...i am not a fan of his solo recordings but with CC its pretty hard to knock him,
as much as i love the blues rock of the abvove link, please find below my favourite vocal performance of Ian Moss with Cold Chisel

[video=youtube;JAvhT2lI55M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAvhT2lI55M[/video]

number 24: IVA DAVIES

[Image: 353918-top-singers-of-all-time.jpg]

Iva Davies AM, (born Ivor Arthur Davies, 22 May 1955, Wauchope, New South Wales, Australia), is the frontman for Australian synthpop/new wave/rock band Icehouse.
Davies has worked with such notable musicians as David Bowie, Brian Eno, Peter Gabriel, Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music, Yukihiro Takahashi, John Oates, Elvis Costello, Simple Minds, Peter Tosh, Robert Palmer, XTC, The Psychedelic Furs, and many more.
Icehouse is an Australian rock band, formed as Flowers in 1977 in Sydney. Initially known in Australia for their pub rock style, they later achieved mainstream success playing New Wave and synthpop style music and attained Top Ten singles chart success in both Europe and the U.S.[SUP][1][/SUP] The mainstay of both Flowers and Icehouse has been Iva Davies (singer-songwriter, record producer, guitar, bass, keyboards, oboe)[SUP][2][/SUP] supplying additional musicians as required. The name Icehouse, which was adopted in 1981, comes from an old, cold flat Davies lived in and the strange building across the road populated by itinerant people.[SUP][3][/SUP]
Davies and Icehouse extended the use of synthesizers particularly the Sequential Circuits Prophet-5 ("Love in Motion", 1981), Linn drum machine ("Hey Little Girl", 1982) and Fairlight CMI (Razorback trailer, 1983) in Australian popular music.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP] Their best known singles on the Australian charts were "Great Southern Land", "Hey Little Girl", "Crazy", "Electric Blue" and "My Obsession"; with Top Three albums being Icehouse (1980, as Flowers), Primitive Man (1982) and Man of Colours (1987).[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP]
Icehouse's iconic status was acknowledged when they were inducted into the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) Hall of Fame on 16 August 2006.[SUP][8][/SUP][SUP][9][/SUP][SUP][10][/SUP] ARIA described Icehouse as "one of the most successful Australian bands of the eighties and nineties... With an uncompromising approach to music production they created songs that ranged from pure pop escapism to edgy, lavish synthesised pieces..."[SUP][10][/SUP] Icehouse has produced eight Top Ten albums and twenty Top Forty singles in Australia, multiple top ten hits in Europe and North America and album sales of over 28 times Platinum in Australasia alone.[SUP][10][/SUP] As of 2006, Man of Colours was still the highest selling album in Australia by an Australian band.

their biggest hit here!

[video=youtube;dgfR3AKCAQI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgfR3AKCAQI[/video]

my thoughts on Iva....

thought he had a very Bowie type vocal quality at times, and the band ICEHOUSE could do no wrong on the charts here from around 1981-2004.
i was never a bag fan,infact i only own a best of set and a few singles, my favourite single of theirs is linked below...

[video=youtube;H9GyV2m8PIc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9GyV2m8PIc[/video]

number 23: SARAH BLASKO

[Image: 354392-top-singers-of-all-time.jpg]

Sarah Elizabeth Blaskow[SUP][1][/SUP] (born 23 September 1976) is an Australian singer-songwriter and musician.[SUP][2][/SUP] Blasko developed her solo career after fronting Sydney-based band, Acquiesce, between the mid-1990s and 2002.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
In 2007, Blasko won the "Best Pop Release" award for What the Sea Wants, the Sea Will Have at the ARIA Music Awards.[SUP][3][/SUP] Her album, As Day Follows Night, won the "Best Female Artist" award at the 2009 ARIA Awards.
[h=3]Acquiesce[edit source | edit][/h]In 1998, as Sarah Semmens, she fronted Sydney band Acquiesce on lead vocals, with founding members Paul Camilleri on guitar, Steve Foxe on violin, Dave Hemmings on drums, Ted Langtree on bass guitar and her sister Kate Halcrow on harmony vocals.[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP] Tracks were co-written by Blasko and Camilleri,[SUP][11][/SUP] Acquiesce recorded an EP, Aa for Acquiesce, released in September 1999.[SUP][10][/SUP] Dave Cullen (of Brotherhood Lush) replaced Langtree on bass guitar and they released a single, "Breathe In", in November 2000.[SUP][10][/SUP] Both EP and single were produced by Hugh Wilson (Brotherhood Lush).[SUP][11][/SUP][SUP][12][/SUP] Acquiesce received some local attention in 1999 by winning a national campus band competition.[SUP][13][/SUP] Acquiesce disbanded by January 2001 and Blasko teamed-up with acoustic guitarist, Nick Schneider in the short-lived project Sorija,[SUP][14][/SUP][SUP][15][/SUP] an acoustic pop/electronic duo, they played gigs in Sydney until April 2002.[SUP][14][/SUP] Early in her career, Blasko says she had an unsuccessful marriage.She went on to have four solo albums and one as part of a trio with Seeker,Lover,Keeper...
She continues to tour the US,Canada,Europe to this day recieving good reviews for her shows...

[video=youtube;VQvjvEWDIoQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQvjvEWDIoQ[/video]
[SUP][/SUP]

my thoughts on Sarah...
predominantly best known for her covers of other songs so i tend to ignore artists like that.
the above link is probably favourite track of hers, again, a cover of the Cold Chisel classic, wouldnt say i love this one but its pretty good as far as covers go.
i have her Seeker,Lover,Keeper album which is okay...

Might seem a little off topic, but this is an awesome Australian band that nobody seems to have heard of. This is rock done right, in my opinion.

[video=youtube;ggZaTPnMpMU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggZaTPnMpMU[/video]
^ Very good ! Never heard of them now I have ! Thanks James for the share!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Australian album charts 2023: CRAZY-HORSE 37 7,810 23-09-2023, 05:17
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Australian Albums charts for 2022 CRAZY-HORSE 50 3,928 30-12-2022, 07:32
  Greatest Frontmen In Rock Music Head 19 5,304 25-10-2022, 08:04
  Australian Albums Charts for 2021: CRAZY-HORSE 51 5,861 24-12-2021, 19:51
  Australian Charts 2020: CRAZY-HORSE 50 7,982 19-12-2020, 09:17
  Rolling Stone's 100 greatest debut singles: CRAZY-HORSE 3 1,149 23-05-2020, 00:50
  Greatest All-Around Musician of All Time coykiesaol 25 7,302 21-06-2018, 19:36
Last Post: Lovely
  singers who have been in more than one classic group oldies65 2 808 25-05-2015, 02:13
Last Post: oldies65
  Do you guys think this is the greatest music video of all Time? jeffjeff 1 679 01-12-2014, 11:58
Last Post: Music Head
  Australian singers CRAZY-HORSE 19 3,209 15-08-2014, 02:11