Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
sorry, dont like it, then again im not a big fan of hip-hop, so what do i know?
eminem, 2pac, notorious b.i.g, nwa, public enemy, early 50cent, d12, jay z, and a couple of lil wayne/linkin park albums is it for me.......oh yeh, malcom mclaren 'buffalo gals' 'soweto' and 'double dutch'
i'll put the cat amongst the pidgeons here....some of chuck berrys are closer to rapping than singing also!!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
House of Pain - Top O' the Morning to Ya
Posts: 919
Threads: 26
Joined: Jun 2008
Iota Wrote:House of Pain - Top O' the Morning to Ya
dia dhuit!
Insane Clown Posse - Miracles
i have no words........
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
[ATTACH=CONFIG]519[/ATTACH]
'Greatest Hits' Tupac Shakur
cant fault a single song on this 25 track best of double set....rap at its best moment, only Notorious B.I.G and Eminem can match him
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 29,763
Threads: 8,842
Joined: Aug 2009
from my library (vinyl)
I know we recently had a thread about favorite soul artists. Can't remember if I put Mr. Withers on mine. If not, it was a definite oversight. One of the greatest blenders of that soul/funk sound. Wrote most of his own material too, which was unique for artists of that genre. West Virginia native so he had to have some country roots also, apparent in his lyrics. This is Bills third album and he had already broken through with Ain't No Sunshine off of his first album. Lean On Me was the smash off of here, going to #1, but Use Me was my favorite, which went to #2, so I guess you could say there were two smashes. The album peaked at #4, with a #1 score on the r&b side. It would be his highest charting album, with nothing after that doing nearly as well. Last we heard from Bill was 1985, but he's still out there.
I LIKE THIS ALBUM
Worst Track - I Don't Know
Best Track - Use Me
My friends feel it's their appointed duty
They keep trying to tell me
All you want to do is use me
Ha, ha, but my answer, ha, ha
Yeah, to all that use me stuff
Is I wanna spread the news
That if it feels this good getting used
Oh, you just keep on using me
Until you use me up
Until you use me up
My brother, sit me right down
And he talked to me, ah-ha
He told me, ah-ha
That I ought not to let you just walk on me
And I'm sure he meant well
Yeah, but when our talk was through
I-I-I said brother, if you only knew
You'd wish that you were in my shoes
You just keep on using me
Until you use me up
Until you use me up
Oh sometimes, it's true you really do abuse me
You get in a crowd of high class people
And then you act real rude to me
But oh baby, baby, baby, baby
When you love me I can't get enough
I-I and I, wanna spread the news
That if it feels this good getting used
Oh, you just keep on using me
Until you use me up
Until you use me up
Talking about you using me
But it all depends on what you do
It ain't too bad the way you're using me
'Cause I sure am using you
To do the things you do
Ah-ha, to do the things you do
1) Lonely Town, Lonely Street - *** - live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAncvyAk5Vw
2) Let Me In Your Life - ** - audio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yjenyrm-Wo
3) Who Is He (And What Is He To You) - ** - audio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FbUGkouIPg
4) Use Me - *** - live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3hBYTkI-sE
5) Lean On Me - *** - live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wpof8s5ZTg
6) Kissing My Love - ** - audio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmJNrU6wPyM
7) I Don't Know - * - audio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdoHfHC6sb0
8) Another Day To Run - ** - audio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD_OPE1cZqw
9) I Don't Want You On My Mind - **
10) Take It All In And Check It All Out - ** - audio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_atNwaE6Cg
3's - 3
2's - 6
1's - 1
Rating - 2.2
Posts: 5,551
Threads: 146
Joined: Jan 2008
Aretha Franklin - Lady Soul
Classic Aretha. Nuff said...
&
Sly & The Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' on
![[Image: 51C2y64eHfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]](http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51C2y64eHfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg)
Soul/Funk classic from '71. It's a dark album, but full of fresh musical ideas.
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
[ATTACH=CONFIG]532[/ATTACH]
'devils night' D-12
one of the best examples of 'rap' that i own, great 'funky' beats and vocals, not a bad song on the album, lyrically its more explicit than the early albums Eminem released, sold over 4million copies in 2001.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
[quote=Tiggi]Aretha Franklin - Lady Soul
Classic Aretha. Nuff said...
&
Sly & The Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' on [QUOTE]
cant beat Aretha Tiggi, Sly is cool also
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
got the email alert thing in my inbox tiggi in regards to 'otis redding' but its not here???
the answer is 'no', otis cant be beaten, i rate him as the greatest 'male' soul singer,just ahead of wilson picket and marvin gaye. i meant, 'cant beat aretha' as a female soul singer.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
'the titan of soul'-jackie wilson
3cds,66tracks of nothing but pure class from one of the finest vocalists ever, i havent room to collate all the tracks, but all the hits are there and a few other gems as well including duets with linda hopkins, lavern baker, count basie and one of my personal favourite soul acts 'the chi-lites'. i cannot rate this triple set highly enough thus im giving it a perfect 3.0 rating, the only time i think such a rating is warrented in my collection
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
|