Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN "high hopes"
#11
and you know, as average as this album is, and the others i mentioned above, they are still on par with the majority of the albums released today by younger artists![/QUOTE]

That isn't saying much really, considering the complete (or almost) lack of good (let alone great) younger artists these days. I saw a girl on youtube the other day that was something like 12yrs old who could blow half of the so-called rock stars I have heard completely off the stage.
Reply
#12
What Nick Cave or Paul Weller album has been subpar? I guess I could MAYBE understand someone saying they didn't like Sonic Kick but that's where that would end for me.
I think this new Springsteen is almost terrible but no worse than Wrecking Ball or Waiting On A Dream. Someone said they thought Magic was as bad to which I would respond that I think Magic is up there with his greats..like REALLY great. I would like Springsteen to take about 10 years off, age a little more, and then go the Cash American Recordings route for an album or two. I would also like to see Bowie and Prince do the same...and Van Morrison for that matter. Springsteens issue is that he has completely lost touch with what remains stellar about rock and roll. This is proven by his ridiculously flawed love for Tom Morello, a hack of a guitar player and a one-trick pony at best.
Reply
#13
Nick Cave below par album "push the sky away" is the only one im not keen on and the Birthday Party material

Paul weller:
"sonik kicks"...no melodies,music,lyrics were terrible overall
"wake up the nation"...average album,made better because Foxton appears on it
"22 dreams"...would have been an excellent single album but too much filler
"the cost of loving"(TSC)....bored sounding vocals, horrible synth drums
"this is the modern world(JAM)...apart from 'standards','tonight at noon' maybe one or two others it was crap!

it was probably me that mentioned "magic", i rate that in his bottom three alongside "human touch" and "lucky town", the newone is now down there with those IMO..

i agree with the Morello comment you made 100%, never thought of it before but Rick Rubin could do wonders with Springsteen!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
#14
as expected, Springsteen debuts at #1 on the australian album chart this week!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
#15
I think Push The Sky Away (and then I'll get off Cave) really shows the crazy level of professionalism that the Bad Seeds operate daily on. Total craftsman across the board. It's the best worlds of the last three albums before Push combined with Boatmans, I love it. I never got excited about the Birthday Party or even really early solo work for that matter.
As for Weller, I get why someone wouldn't be in love the last 2 studio records but I really dig 22 Dreams as it's very non-singles driven yet each song is its own..ya there is some filler that comes off a ego driven cockiness but as a whole I think it's really strong. I wasn't talking about Style Council or Jam but I agree on the sub-par albums from those years you mentioned 100%
Reply
#16
^^
good comments Knarf
stick around

Reply
#17
Good song! I like it! Good choice to have Tom Morello on guitar! Rage Against the Machine must be on hiatus as their drummer Brad Wilk is touring with Black Sabbath!
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:
[Image: 51tJ8AmzNvL._SY450__PJautoripBadge,Botto...OU11__.jpg]

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN "high hopes"

this one is "the boss'" seventeenth studio album...
its basically a collection of tracks that didnt make it onto his last
four studio albums, plus a previously unreleased version of
"the ghost of tom joad" with a full band sound...that one is okay
as a song but it lacks the haunting frailty of the original version...
the rest of the album is okay, its nothing special, but then again,
there's not much bad to say about it neither except it lacks
something that i cannot put my finger on, maybe with repeat
listens i might figure it out...
its pretty hard to knock Springsteen at the best of times IMO, this
album is a bit below par,its an average Springsteen album and on that
listen would slot inbetween his "lucky town"/"human touch" albums
and "magic"
"allmusic.com" rate this one a converted 2.1, me, im giving it a pass mark
because it is Springsteen and it will grow on me a bit once i buy it so
1.6/1.7 from me

from the album:

[video=youtube;rOPDhoZH91g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOPDhoZH91g[/video]
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#18
album debut's at #1 in "the land of the long white cloud"(NZ) this week.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
#19
from brucespringsteen.net

On the eve of his first ever dates in South Africa next week, Bruce’s new album High Hopes has debuted at #1 in the United States and in 9 other countries including the UK, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, Ireland, Holland, Canada, and Spain.

This marks Springsteen’s historic 11th #1 debut on the Billboard 200 in the US, which is now the third-most #1s ever on the chart, and his fourth consecutive chart-topping debut.

In the UK, Springsteen has led the chart 10 times since 1984, and now joins the ranks of musicians including the Rolling Stones among artists with 10 #1 UK albums.

High Hopes also reached #1 in 30 countries on the iTunes album charts.

Thanks to everyone who purchased the album!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
#20
Bruce has been in legendary status for awhile
anything he puts out will go straight to #1
unless he starts doing covers

Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW SONG: Role Model - High Hopes 3000 Music Head 1 541 22-06-2026, 11:56
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW SONG: Bruce Springsteen - "rain in the river" CRAZY-HORSE 0 1,512 07-04-2025, 10:17
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW SINGLE: The Killers ft: Bruce Springsteen "dustland" CRAZY-HORSE 0 751 17-06-2021, 23:33
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Bruce Springsteen "letter to you" CRAZY-HORSE 2 1,726 04-11-2020, 13:54
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW SONG: Bruce Springsteen "ghosts" CRAZY-HORSE 0 667 24-09-2020, 23:57
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW SINGLE: Bruce springsteen "letter to you" CRAZY-HORSE 0 681 10-09-2020, 14:39
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Bruce Springsteen "western stars" CRAZY-HORSE 4 2,642 25-07-2019, 12:26
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW SINGLE: Bruce Springsteen - Hello Sunshine Ruby 2 1,282 27-04-2019, 00:29
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW SINGLE: Billy Walton Band "hell or high water" CRAZY-HORSE 0 1,372 12-01-2018, 08:42
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Bruce Cockburn - Bone on Bone Ruby 2 2,452 21-09-2017, 16:49
Last Post: Ruby

Forum Jump: