Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
What do whilst listening to music?
#21
One of my favorite websites, popmatters.com, ran an article yesterday that touches on this. The article talks about how we consume music and how that is based on the technology used to store and play it back. Some excerpts:

Quote:...every individual who currently lives in the mainstream of Western popular culture has grown up in a particular era of musical consumption. These “eras of consumption” determine, to some degree, how, where, and when we consume music. I spent my own formative music-listening years in the era of physical media, which includes any timeframe where music was listened to in a physical form (CD, LP, tape, etc.)... [The] feature of control has, quite obviously, taken on a whole new importance in the digital era of musical consumption, in which a nearly limitless (compared to previous eras) number of tracks can co-exist on a single device at any given time, allowing the consumer to skip, cycle through, and rearrange these tracks to his or her liking.
Quote:As music is defined less and less by its physical nature (whether in the form of LP, tape, CD, or any other corporeal object), the presence of any particular piece of music on our cognitive state becomes less and less significant. In the era of physical media, any particular piece of music was inevitably associated with a physical artifact. In order to listen to a piece of music, one had to engage with the physical medium associated with that piece of music. This physical medium included images (the album covers), text (the liner notes), and equipment (musical devices required to play music, including turntables, tape decks, etc.).
Quote:This process of conceptualization also extends to the physical environments in which we listen to music. After all, our experiences of listening to music do not occur in a vacuum. Instead, the music itself is related, in our minds, to other components of our physical environment, including the time and place of listening, as well as our own mental state. In the digital era, music is increasingly becoming portable, diversifying the environments within which we listen to music. Once again, this change is a matter of degree; although the Walkman helped to make music portable, music has only become more portable in subsequent eras. This portability, as with so many other innovations of the digital era, expands our possibilities for listening to music. It also, however, renders the music itself only a small part of a more expansive cultural gestalt. We may continue to listen to music, but we do so while walking, talking, driving, working, or some combination thereof.

I think several people replying to this thread are "fans" of music instead of "critics". They prefer to isolate the music from everything around it instead of putting it in a larger context. Which I think is perfectly fine. I myself love to trace the lines of the web that connect every artist and music piece to another. This encourages me to listen to a great deal of music so I don't like to sit still and listen to music under headphones. I want to be reading about the music / music culture as I listen so I can learn more about where it is coming from.
Reply
#22
Love to listen to music as much as possible. Have found "country" stations on-line radio stations and that's great. Also have recordings on tv I listen to - (don't often watch,) such as Johny Cash profiled shows. Hate to have silence so music is going 90% of the day.
Reply
#23
JonG Wrote:I think several people replying to this thread are "fans" of music instead of "critics". They prefer to isolate the music from everything around it instead of putting it in a larger context. Which I think is perfectly fine. I myself love to trace the lines of the web that connect every artist and music piece to another. This encourages me to listen to a great deal of music so I don't like to sit still and listen to music under headphones. I want to be reading about the music / music culture as I listen so I can learn more about where it is coming from.

That's not for me, as you know, but I can understand your rationale. With a CD on, I will quickly scan the booklet during the first couple of tracks, but then need to kick back & immerse.

Good article BTW
Reply
#24
Tiggi Wrote:That's not for me, as you know, but I can understand your rationale. With a CD on, I will quickly scan the booklet during the first couple of tracks, but then need to kick back & immerse.

Good article BTW
You do that every time you listen to the same album?

I'm glad you enjoyed the article. It is part of a series they're doing on how technology affects people's interaction with music. I recommend going back and reading the previous entries.
Reply
#25
JonG Wrote:You do that every time you listen to the same album?

More so with less familiar albums, but pretty much yes.
Reply
#26
So does this mean when most of you reply to the various "what are you listening to now?" threads you aren't actually listening to the piece of music that you post about. You just finished listening to it?
Reply
#27
If I'm honest then yes!Cool
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Reply
#28
same here
My thread should be titled, "What did you just finish listening to?"

Reply
#29
Almost all of mine were played the previous night...
Reply
#30
i have almost all the time my earphones in my ears - only at work not ... but i listen to music a lot when i clean the house, when i sit in front of my pc, when i drive the bus, the train or my bike, when i go for a walk or when i go shopping, etc ... *lol* i don`t like it, when it is silent ...
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is this in my music collection? CMB1888 6 3,665 03-12-2025, 05:06
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Happy Birthday Music Head CRAZY-HORSE 2 1,273 24-10-2025, 12:33
Last Post: Music Head
  Importance of music johnnygees 32 15,432 04-02-2025, 11:42
Last Post: JeromeD
  Tring to explain why I like instrumental music Drealm 4 3,964 30-12-2024, 08:03
Last Post: JeromeD
  Any Artists(not just music) out there LHDesigns 1 1,816 15-04-2023, 09:34
Last Post: JeromeD
  Salutations Music Head. CRAZY-HORSE 3 1,798 23-10-2022, 15:04
Last Post: JeromeD
  Learning about music mixing Homer Bluth 2 2,415 08-11-2021, 08:11
Last Post: JeromeD
  "Progressive" Music coordinatednoise 8 5,675 06-11-2021, 06:30
Last Post: JeromeD
  Sometimes porn music is really good Drealm 23 9,213 04-07-2021, 13:55
Last Post: JeromeD
  Paying for compressed music : I still can't accept it Drealm 11 4,706 03-01-2021, 12:14
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE

Forum Jump: