Posts: 518
Threads: 5
Joined: May 2008
Actually, experimental music in a large way requires just as much planning as music with more straightforward harmonic structures... It can in fact, be more complicated to perform/score. I think writing off entire genres is stupid.
[URL="http://www.fictionpress.com/%7Edoriane"]
[/URL]
Posts: 919
Threads: 26
Joined: Jun 2008
trbc08 Wrote:There's quite a few genres I won't touch
Sound familiar? - sorry - couldn't resist!
Posts: 21
Threads: 1
Joined: Nov 2008
trbc08 Wrote:Actually, experimental music in a large way requires just as much planning as music with more straightforward harmonic structures... It can in fact, be more complicated to perform/score. I think writing off entire genres is stupid.
I need my music to have a rhythm, and most Experimental music I've heard has none. I do have one exception for Experimental though, I am a fan of Jandek.
Posts: 518
Threads: 5
Joined: May 2008
I wasn't saying that I wasn't stupid. I'm capable of being ignorant and provincial in regard to music as well. But most of the stuff I write off is mindless pop stuff, not music that is generally too complex to be seen as objective by the sleeping masses of general music listeners.
[URL="http://www.fictionpress.com/%7Edoriane"]
[/URL]
Posts: 919
Threads: 26
Joined: Jun 2008
Come on - you are pretty far from stupid - it was a cheap shot.
I must admit I have real difficulty with music that is complex if it isn't also melodic to some extent.
I think that talented musicians can sometimes intellectualise music so much that it becomes inaccessible to most people. That's fine if you only want to reach the already converted but smacks to me a little of planned elitism - a bit of a missed opportunity.
Posts: 518
Threads: 5
Joined: May 2008
Well, that sort of music can appeal to me. I think certain people can find the emotion in it... And I don't think that not being able to see the appeal in that kind of music makes you a philistine or what have you, and I have seen interviews with artists who make that sort of music that say the same... But I am just angered by people who completely write off music that is atonal or lacking in melody. If you don't like it, that's another matter entirely... But insulting it seems kind of silly to me. But I insult music all the time, so... I don't really have any right to be preachy in that regard.
[URL="http://www.fictionpress.com/%7Edoriane"]
[/URL]
Posts: 838
Threads: 11
Joined: Jan 2008
I'm still trying to identify exactly what you mean by Experimental. I don't consider that to be a genre of music. There is experimental rock of many different styles, experimental folk, electronic, rap, jazz, etc. It seams like you mean improv music, but again that doesn't encompass one style/genre.
Experimental is a pretty dumb name for a genre, to be honest.
What I consider to be experimental are artists that try to extravagate, maybe create a new sound or something. For instance K.K. Null & Jon Rose. A collaboration between a noise guitarist and a violinist. Very avant-garde y0!
Posts: 518
Threads: 5
Joined: May 2008
I inferred that he was referring to avant-garde classical stuff... Which is what I thought of when he mentioned people hitting pots and pans. My definition of experimental music varies a bit from that, as well... I was just entertaining his notion of experimental music for the sake of argument.
[URL="http://www.fictionpress.com/%7Edoriane"]
[/URL]
Posts: 919
Threads: 26
Joined: Jun 2008
I must admit if I actively don't like music that has some sort of critical acclaim, I tend to think that this my failing and I just haven't been able to access the part of my psyche that would be fulfilled by what I'm hearing
(a bit like 'The Diceman' idea that if you force youself to do things that aren't your choice then this provides a different type of fulfilment/self knowledge).
So in musically terms I do keep on doing this and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. However given that I am a well-adjusted person and not a lunatic, I'm also quite happy with my bread and butter of punk and alternative.