Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Cover Versions
#21
I love to see the way artists interpret other artists' songs !..that's why I watch the music reality shows from time to time..there are some very interesting translations of songs on those shows !!!!

I didn't really appreciate U2's ONE until I heard Johhny Cash's version !!!!!..also applies to several other covers that I've heard !
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#22
SteveO Wrote:I love to see the way artists interpret other artists' songs !..that's why I watch the music reality shows from time to time..there are some very interesting translations of songs on those shows !!!!

I didn't really appreciate U2's ONE until I heard Johhny Cash's version !!!!!..also applies to several other covers that I've heard !

I'm the same way. It's always interesting to see someone else's take on a song. And a lot of covers have actually gotten me to appreciate the actual song. A great example of this is the stuff on Glee. Like their versions and checked out the real ones and found a lot of great bands.
Reply
#23
That's what I'm talkin' about, Hatchet...good for you !

The movie Across the Universe showcases Beatle covers and it's excellent !..the music I mean !!!...lol
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#24
SteveO Wrote:That's what I'm talkin' about, Hatchet...good for you !

The movie Across the Universe showcases Beatle covers and it's excellent !..the music I mean !!!...lol

Haven't seen Across the Universe. Will have to look into it.
Reply
#25
An unusual one I have is Jon Anderson of Yes doing a version of Bob Dylan's 'Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands' from the Yes compilation 'Friends & Relatives' Quite like it.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Reply
#26
I have heard several bad covers, Boybands just love to re- hash work, and I don't generally agree wit it.

the worst cover of a song I have heard??? Gareth Gates-Spirit in the Sky. Truly truly aweful!!!!!
Best one? Isaac Hanson singing Ain't No Sunshine. He did it live, and it was very good.
Reply
#27
Some other great covers i remembered:
Ray Charles - Georgia on My Mind
Eddie Hazel - California Dreamin'
Miles Davis - Summertime
Eric Clapton - I Shot The Sheriff
Reply
#28
ruthie foster.... don't want to know about evil.......john myrtyn blind boys of alabama...way down in the hole.....tom waits boz scaggs...loan me a dime...fenton robinson mother earth....mother earth.........memphis slim
Reply
#29
You know what makes me crazy? A Thread like this, talking about and listing nothing but songs yet with no/few no inserted links. I can understand not linking the drek (there's enough wrong-o music) but if you wish to make a point positively about a version, especially an odd or left-field version, link the durn thing. Just too easy to do and lends credibility to a post. End of rant. Back to regularly scheduled programming...
Reply
#30
[QUOTE=JonG; I think the first to perform it was the Bobby Fuller Four.[/QUOTE]
Indeed. Classic staring-down-LEOs-and-losing song.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgtQj8O92eI << in the mode of any of those three who perished the day the music died, one particularly. Mr. Fuller had an, er, fuller career than just this song: http://www.allmusic.com/artist/bobby-ful.../biography
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you think of my titanic piano cover Matthew Hughes 0 997 02-07-2015, 23:15
Last Post: Matthew Hughes
  Uptown Funk drum cover/drum remix jamesswansondrums 3 2,111 20-02-2015, 06:41
Last Post: jazzboCR
  Krokus cover from Kiev Ukraine gaustu 1 1,244 07-02-2015, 04:08
Last Post: SteveO
  an interesting cover jazzboCR 3 1,691 16-04-2014, 16:23
Last Post: SteveO
  a cover album jazzboCR 12 4,241 11-03-2014, 16:24
Last Post: SteveO
  Album Cover Art sahrs 5 3,108 26-02-2014, 08:57
Last Post: SteveO

Forum Jump: