Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:yeh, i think Candle In The Wind is lyrically one of the best crafted songs ever....the Marilyn one, not the Diana thing.

Uncle Elton was very good (or was it Bernie) at painting potraits of the famous

Cage the Songbird - Edith Piaf

Candle in the Wind - Marilyn Monroe (screw the Kennedys)

Empty Garden - John Lennon

And of course Roy Rodgers......

A Captain Fantastic indeed - listen to his 'Sixty Years on' from the Live in Australia album.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Nice clip, Apostrophe ! I like listening to Iron Maiden for a rush of straight ahead hard rock !!!!
Apostrophe(') Wrote:I'm in a bit of metal mood today:

[video=youtube;ysGdhiyjMNg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysGdhiyjMNg[/video]
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Hypocrisy - Penetralia
[Image: 51eTNouEsyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

2008 album.

Evil tipped me off that this is available for free download from the NIN website.

I'm not a huge Reznor fan, but have a couple of albums that I like, and this is pretty similar which is no great surprise. If anything, there's more moody atmospherics here than I was expecting, but the songs are standard NIN affairs; angsty tales of apparent hatred and alienation.

This listen was on Spotify, but at that price I shall download a copy. Might even buy it...

AllMusic 4/5 stars.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
Nice one,Tig...Trent Reznor...another so called music genius !!!!...imho
Tiggi Wrote:[Image: 51eTNouEsyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

2008 album.

Evil tipped me off that this is available for free download from the NIN website.

I'm not a huge Reznor fan, but have a couple of albums that I like, and this is pretty similar which is no great surprise. If anything, there's more moody atmospherics here than I was expecting, but the songs are standard NIN affairs; angsty tales of apparent hatred and alienation.

This listen was on Spotify, but at that price I shall download a copy. Might even buy it...

AllMusic 4/5 stars.
[Image: 41VMG3wiYdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

On the laptop.

Band's second album, from 2002.

SteveO's been itching for me to give this a listen for a while now, after I sat on the fence over their Marrow of The Spirit album, so here it is, my take on The Mantle...

I'll start by saying that there are some elements of this record that stray outside of my normal listening criteria: I'm really not a metal-head, and I don't like the growly vocals thing. That having been said, the instances of beyond-comfort-zone stuff are relatively few, and certainly not enough to spoil a very good album.

Some lengthy instrumental sections on here, which are not dissimilar to the Post-Rock sounds of Godspeed You ! Black Emperor. I couldn't make out a lot of the growlies, but it all sounded suitably sinister, and will certainly sound better at a more unhealthy volume.

Definite Buy-Lister.

Thanks for the heads-up from all that championed this one.

AllMusic 4+/5 Stars.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
Glad you liked it, Tig ???? Every time I look at a best metal or best goth metal poll Agalloch is number one, two and three.. The Mantle,Marrow of the Spirit, Ashes Against the Grain or Pale Folklore their four studio albums flip flop back and forth depending on which poll you look at and when !
Tiggi Wrote:[Image: 41VMG3wiYdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

On the laptop.

Band's second album, from 2002.

SteveO's been itching for me to give this a listen for a while now, after I sat on the fence over their Marrow of The Spirit album, so here it is, my take on The Mantle...

I'll start by saying that there are some elements of this record that stray outside of my normal listening criteria: I'm really not a metal-head, and I don't like the growly vocals thing. That having been said, the instances of beyond-comfort-zone stuff are relatively few, and certainly not enough to spoil a very good album.

Some lengthy instrumental sections on here, which are not dissimilar to the Post-Rock sounds of Godspeed You ! Black Emperor. I couldn't make out a lot of the growlies, but it all sounded suitably sinister, and will certainly sound better at a more unhealthy volume.

Definite Buy-Lister.

Thanks for the heads-up from all that championed this one.

AllMusic 4+/5 Stars.
Devin Townsend Band - Vampira
[video=youtube;MMLXoobDKWs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMLXoobDKWs[/video]

Gotta love the silliness!
LOL...quite the Video ! thanks evil ! ..Canada has its own musical genius like England's Steve Wilson afterall,,,,Devin Townsend !!!...This would have fit in nicely ???...with Trace's Halloween music !...lol
GENESIS - Duke (1980)

[Image: 220px-Duke_Genesisalbum.jpg]
  • Another revisit of a vinyl record on Charisma Records. This album apparently was Genesis' best seller with the singles Misunderstanding and Turn It On Again. Only a trio of musicians on here but they play some interesting progressive rock ! I especially enjoy the twelve string guitar playing of Tony Banks.

I always prefered the Peter Gabriel Genesis but since Gryphon mentioned Wind and Wuthering and Jerome praises thie live album Seconds Out , I am appreciating Genesis just as much as the Gabriel group ! In fact at times I can't distinguish between Collins' or Gabriels' vocals, which is a good thing.

Side One
    1. "Behind the Lines" Mike Rutherford Tony Banks, Rutherford, Phil Collins 5:31
    2. "Duchess" Banks Banks, Rutherford, Collins 6:26
    3. "Guide Vocal" Banks Banks 1:35
    4. "Man of Our Times" Rutherford Rutherford 5:34
    5. "Misunderstanding" Collins Collins 3:13
    6. "Heathaze" Banks Banks 4:59
Side Two
1. "Turn It On Again" Rutherford Banks, Rutherford, Collins 3:50
2. "Alone Tonight" Rutherford Rutherford 3:56
3. "Cul-de-sac" Banks Banks 5:05
4. "Please Don't Ask" Collins Collins 4:01
5. "Duke's Travels" Banks Banks, Rutherford, Collins 8:40
6. "Duke's End" (Instrumental) Banks, Rutherford, Collins 2:08 *****

Phil Collins – percussion, drums, vocals, drum machine
Tony Banks – keyboards, vocals, background vocals, 12 string guitar
Mike Rutherford – basses, guitars, background vocals

All Music rating 4/5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ive been listening to motorhead JimClark 4 2,850 25-11-2008, 18:25
Last Post: Tiggi