Posts: 29,761
Threads: 8,840
Joined: Aug 2009
Junior Walker - Arkansas native died on this day in 1995 at the age of 64, of cancer
his first hit, a #4 in 1965
[video=youtube;YnhI_ECOAK4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnhI_ECOAK4[/video]
Posts: 6,430
Threads: 418
Joined: May 2014
Nick Drake died on this day in 1974 at the age of 26 from an overdose of prescription medicine. He suffered from severe depression which was not as well understood or managed back then as it mightâve been had he lived in a different era. I think, his, was an extremely fragile spirit.
Heâs much more popular posthumously than he ever was alive, not that he tried to be popular â he shied away from the spotlight; he is recognised for his complex tunings and unusual timing as well as his lyricism, and is cited by many contemporary musos as an inspiration and influence. He was, in turn, influenced and inspired by William Blake who seems to have spawned innumerable musical ideas. Stands to reason that there would be common ground in poetry, I guess!
From his debut album Five Leaves Left â a song that seems particularly fitting on the anniversary of his death ⦠âDay is Doneâ â
[video=youtube;Y2jxjv0HkwM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2jxjv0HkwM[/video]
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Posts: 9,643
Threads: 255
Joined: Jun 2010
I only have his Pink Moon album. An artist I could never really get into but if I am in an introspective frame of mind then his music just fits! Can't explain it.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Posts: 35,589
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
I have Pink Moon and Five Leaves Left( I think its called that anyway)....
They were recommendations from Gryphon back in the day...
I probably like half of each album....
And like you Jerome, I've got to be 'in the mood' to hear them(which is rare)
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 29,761
Threads: 8,840
Joined: Aug 2009
George Harrison - England native died on this day in 2001 at the age of 58, of cancer
his last single
[video=youtube;BldrJGDhIME]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BldrJGDhIME[/video]
Posts: 29,761
Threads: 8,840
Joined: Aug 2009
Odetta - Alabama native died on this day in 2008 at the age of 77, of heart disease
known as the Queen of Folk
started in the 50's
18 albums to her credit
[video=youtube;XGYY5skJJk4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGYY5skJJk4[/video]
Posts: 29,761
Threads: 8,840
Joined: Aug 2009
Dave Brubeck - California native died on this day in 2012 at the age of 91, of being 91
one of the few instrumentals I love
I need to write some lyrics for it
they would have to include the words Take Five
I would probably just shout that out at the beginning
[video=youtube;PHdU5sHigYQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHdU5sHigYQ[/video]
Posts: 29,761
Threads: 8,840
Joined: Aug 2009
Roy Orbison - Texas native died on this day in 1988 at the age of 52, of a heart attack
background almost as beautiful as the lead
[video=youtube;ysmN7dsheE8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmN7dsheE8[/video]
Posts: 35,589
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
1980, JOHN LENNON:
was shot five times by 25 year old Mark Chapman outside the Dakota building in New York City where John and Yoko lived. Chapman had been stalking Lennon for days outside the Dakota apartments and asked for an autograph as Lennon walked through the courtyard. As he signed a piece of paper Chapman fired. Lennon was pronounced dead from a massive loss of blood at 11.30pm
Damn!, has it really been 35 years, I remember coming home from school and my mum sitting me down and saying "john lennon was dead",
I cried all night!
anyway, imnot posting "imagine" as I cannot stand that song(I guess me and Bob Dylan are the only two people on earth that don't like it!),
but heres another that I love, its also apt for this time of year and is, IMO, the greatest Christmas song ever laid on tape!
[video=youtube;yN4Uu0OlmTg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN4Uu0OlmTg[/video]
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 29,761
Threads: 8,840
Joined: Aug 2009
^^
I shouldn't have watched that documentary
love the music but the man was an ass