I already posted something like this, but it didn't show up for some reason. I guess because it was within my first week of joining the forum and the people in charge never got around to approving it. So if it shows up again I apologize in advance.
The true spelling of Lead Belly is in fact "Lead (SPACE) Belly." Now a lot of people are going to say: "Wait a second! I've almost never seen it spelled that way! I have a bunch of his recordings and it is spelled Leadbelly!"
The recording companies messed up. Kind of like the recording company that mispelled the word "odyssey" on the cover of The Zombie's "Odessey and Oracle." They spelled it "Leadbelly" on his recordings and it stuck. Does this make it correct? Not at all. Just because people don't know any better and have gotten used to "Leadbelly" doesn't make it correct.
Ok, so you want proof do you? More than just his tombstone? Ok, I've got you covered. Below is a link to a scan of a letter handwritten by Lead Belly himself. Notice the top of the letterhead. It is spelled "Lead Belly." This proves beyond any doubt that the correct spelling is in fact two words.
Blues LEAD BELLY LEDBETTER - Autograph Ltr Signed
More proof? If you insist. Tiny Robinson, Lead Belly's niece, founded the "Lead Belly Foundation" in order to "preserve and promote [his] musical legacy." Below is the link to the foundation's website. You can even call them or email them and ask the real spelling if you want to. They'll tell you the same thing that I'm telling you now, that
Lead Belly himself spelled it "Lead Belly."
Untitled Document
Whats that? MORE proof? Ok. The like here is a link to the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame. Lead Belly was inducted as "Lead Belly."
Lead Belly
I was WRONG about him doing drugs. I fully admit my error. Now, I'm sure some of you won't admit that
you are wrong about the spelling. That is why I have emailed two of the seven member of the panel of "Lead Belly- A Seminar With Seven Specialists." This is a video made in the early nineties that discusses Lead Belly's music. You can find it in the Library of Congress's catalogue (which has entries for both Leadbelly and Lead Belly by the way). The members of the panel that I emailed are Janet Sturman and John Andrew Prime. You can very easily research their credibility online. They are both well established in thieir fields. I would have emailed the other members on the panel, but I couldn't find their email adresses. Now, I just emailed these people, so I haven't got a response back. I'll post what they said as soon as I can.
I wouldn't ever jump on somebody's back just because they spelled it "Leadbelly." I can see how somebody would think that. I just don't think that I should have been corrected when I spelled it way that Lead Belly himself spelled it.