Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Born on this day ...
Alan Gratzer was born on this day in 1948. Founding member and drummer for REO Speedwagon, he was with them during their most successful period and left them in 1988 after 21 years on the road, so to speak. He is officially retired from music but does live guest spots now and then.

Because of the title, which is irresistible, and because it’s a great fun, the instrumental “The Unidentified Flying Tuna Trot” from the Speedwagon’s breakthrough album, You can Tune a piano but you can’t Tuna Fish, [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eM_yLicXoU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eM_yLicXoU
[/URL]
… and for those who want voices … “Sing to Me” –

[video=youtube;ftldPc9QiR0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftldPc9QiR0[/video]
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Reply
Happy Birthday to Greg Lake who is 68 today - born in Dorset, England. After a brief, but not insignificant stint with King Crimson, he became the unmistakeable voice of Emerson, Lake & Palmer. He plays bass and other guitars, and is a composer and lyricist He did one live recorded tour with Asia and one album as part of Emerson, Lake & Powell after Palmer left. He’s recently recorded an album with Geoff Downes, Ride the Tiger – yet to be released – due towards the end of this month, I believe.

He also made two solo albums, one of which is eponymously titled. He is joined by Steve Lukather on this track (Gary Moore on a few others) … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqEQUsXpwRM

“Still You Turn Me On”, from Brain Salad Surgery - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8VHHcd0M_o

“C’est La Vie” from Works Volume 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDLPrIqr4o8 – a noisy, fuzzy live version!

From the first of their albums that I heard/owned - Works Volume 2 - the opener - “Tiger in a Spotlight” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5zuU7MFK7Q . They actually performed with a real live tiger on stage; I had no idea of that before now, and don’t like to see animals in chains - at all. Such magnificent creatures do not belong in captivity, hence I will not post that clip. Despite the fact that said tiger looked fairly bored and appeared to be well fed, the song is probably a whole minute shorter, which is hardly surprising. What were they thinking?! Thumbs down on that ELP – disappointing!

… “Paper Blood” from Black Moon - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0_AN74BKlQ

And finally (and totally out of synch chronologically), from Trilogy -

[video=youtube;UtGjJVcrKQU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtGjJVcrKQU[/video]
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Reply
im simply not a fan of Emerson,Lake and Palmer, just never got into their music...

I do love Greg's "i believe in father Christmas" though...fantastic song IMO
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
1953: Alan Partridge:
vocalist and principle writer for UK band XTC...
i used to really like these guys back in the day but i never bought any of their material....
a correction i should make in 2016....!

[video=youtube;Jr8jEIQKgZI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr8jEIQKgZI[/video]
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
love XTC or Dukes Of Stratosphear
you need some

it's fun trying to guess who Ruby and CH will post in these threads
I'm frequently right

Reply
I had no idea who Dukes Of Stratospear were until I just Wiki'd them...
see, you learn something everyday(mostly useless information, but useless information if better than nothing...lmao!)
for anybody else who doesn't know who DoS are, here's their Wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dukes_of_Stratosphear

back to XTC....
anyone can answer this question, but it is in response to MH saying "love xtc".....
I would be pretty comfortable going after their studio albums(especially the early ones)...
so,
would that be a good idea or should I head for a compilation first?????
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
Music Head Wrote:it's fun trying to guess who Ruby and CH will post in these threads
I'm frequently right

Lol! I do that too.
The odds are much improved in the dead thread. :biggrin1:
Bet you didn't see the next one coming ...
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Reply
Jevetta Steele was born on this day in 1963 and I recognise her name because of one particular song – “Calling You”, from the movie Bagdad Café. She’s a gospel singer and seems to have had a successful solo career as well as being one of “The Steeles” in her family gospel group.

“Calling You” has been covered by a few singers – some of whom I prefer not to mention! Jeff Buckley is not one of them - [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP_eHGYzYtc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP_eHGYzYtc
[/URL]
… and the original from the film –

[video=youtube;dbax86veenA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbax86veenA[/video]
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Reply
1945: NEIL YOUNG:
that would make him 70 years young(pardon the pun!)
no introduction needed for this guy, we all know who he is and what he has achieved....
ranked #2 on the Rolling Stone list of 'most influential musicians of the 20th century'(Dylan is #1 on the list)
I could play any one of a hundred tracks of his I love, but i'll stick with one of the classics we all know this time round:

[video=youtube;DP9UjLeLN5A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP9UjLeLN5A[/video]
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
damn
I would have never guessed CH would post NY

Brian Hyland - born on this day in 1943 in NYC
that would make him 72

had a #1 with that dumb Yellow Polka Dotted Bikini thing
I prefer this #3 from 1962
and as always I love those dancers

[video=youtube;xIkUiD8N81k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIkUiD8N81k[/video]

Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Born To Run vs American Girl Sir_Farty_Fartsalot 2 2,752 01-10-2014, 02:34
Last Post: Jerome
  See what Country song was #1 on the day you were born Neil Cossar 2 2,215 08-04-2014, 11:38
Last Post: Music Head
  Positive realization: Born in the best era for music enjoyment Drealm 14 6,461 20-04-2012, 01:35
Last Post: SteveO
  THE CULT - Born Into This (2007) SteveO 0 1,724 18-02-2012, 18:22
Last Post: SteveO

Forum Jump: