Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Born on this day ...
Donald Brian Roeser, otherwise known by his stage name, Buck Dharma, was born on this day on Long Island, New York.

Songwriter, singer and musician, he’s been with Blue Öyster Cult since their inception (they still seem to venture out on tour now and then), and heavily instrumental in that he both wrote, and sang the lead vocal on what has become the band’s signature song, “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClQcUyhoxTg, as well as on two other staples (and a few more besides); “Burnin’ For You” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipqqEFoJPL4, and “Godzilla” – Eric Bloom and Buck Dharma taking joint lead in a fairly recent line-up …

[video=youtube;SBIyxnpStRw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBIyxnpStRw[/video]
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Reply
back to Bryan Hyland...."sealed with a kiss" is one of those simple pop classics IMO
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
^I like Agnetha Faltskog's version from her 2004 album My Colouring Book - just love the vocal key changes. Will put it in 'The Track I'm listenng To ...' but here too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl-aFOV6eAc
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Reply
So, the interesting thing, for me, about this thread, is that I get to uncover artists I never heard of – like Terry Reid, for example- born on this day in 1949 in Huntingdon, UK. Who knew he had turned down Jimmy Page when approached for the lead vocal position with Led Zep, and not only that, pointed Jimmy in the direction of a young singer named Robert Plant?

Session muso and sideman with plenty of musical luminaries including Clapton and Graham Nash; associations notwithstanding, one of those who just didn’t make the big name stakes, despite a number of solo releases and actually, in this instance by choice. Good for him for not selling his soul short.

Reid’s is an unleashed voice – entirely his own choice of course – eschewing the mainstream, and I have no problem with that. Hmmm – well now Terry Reid - just a very little homage …

[video=youtube;MgshmDZGZaA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgshmDZGZaA[/video]
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Reply
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"][Image: spacer.gif][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: common_desc, colspan: 2"]1974: Chad Kroeger:
that would make him 41 if my math is still good....
guitarist, vocals and principle writer for Canadian rockers Nickelback....
seen 'em live, they sound and present as more of a hard rock,almost metal, outfit on stage...
I have several of their albums and I don't know why because at least half of each album is filler IMO,
the rest of the albums are great though...

[video=youtube;EWzPF69k3DU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWzPF69k3DU[/video][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
Petula Clark - born on this day in 1932 in England
that would make her 83

her career goes back to the 40's
Downtown was the biggie
equal for me is this 1965 #3 here

[video=youtube;PGXRqzQJFzQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGXRqzQJFzQ[/video]

Reply
I think she had four or five singles that matched Downtown and/or I Know A Place...
last new release I know of from Pet was back in 2013...
I Know A Place strangely only made it to #1 in one country...Canada.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
Ruby Wrote:So, the interesting thing, for me, about this thread, is that I get to uncover artists I never heard of – like Terry Reid, for example- born on this day in 1949 in Huntingdon, UK. Who knew he had turned down Jimmy Page when approached for the lead vocal position with Led Zep, and not only that, pointed Jimmy in the direction of a young singer named Robert Plant?

Session muso and sideman with plenty of musical luminaries including Clapton and Graham Nash; associations notwithstanding, one of those who just didn’t make the big name stakes, despite a number of solo releases and actually, in this instance by choice. Good for him for not selling his soul short.

Reid’s is an unleashed voice – entirely his own choice of course – eschewing the mainstream, and I have no problem with that. Hmmm – well now Terry Reid - just a very little homage

and I always thought that Robert Plant was Jimmy's second pick for vocalist of Led Zep after Steve Marriott of Small Faces fame turned him down, I guess Terry Reid was
Page's second choice then,
see....
ive learned another new thing on MD today, that there was another offered the job between Marriott and Plant.
thanks for the info Ruby, appreciate it.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
^The word according to Wiki! Confusedmile:

Martin Lancelot Barre was born on this day in 1946, in Birmingham, England. Very definitely best known for his role in Jethro Tull (at stage left); he has also worked with some other notables and released a respectable 6 solo studio albums. He plays the guitar, bouzouki, mandolin, flute and sax, and has an assertive and distinctive style. I very much like his Stage Left – have yet to listen to his latest – Back to Steel …

From his Away With Words, which is exactly what the title denotes – one of my JT favs reworked, “Pussy Willow” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkYBlFPWf-0

And from Stage Left – “Celestial Servings” & “As Told By” – fantastic stuff (and déjà vu – sure I’ve posted this before – can’t remember where?! … Oh, and instrumental alert!)

[video=youtube;Vr63_ODKNPE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr63_ODKNPE[/video]
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Reply
Gordon Lightfoot - born on this day in 1938 in Canada
that would make him 77

my fav
#5 here in 1970

[video=youtube;l-ij_iTQt2w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-ij_iTQt2w[/video]

Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Born To Run vs American Girl Sir_Farty_Fartsalot 2 2,752 01-10-2014, 02:34
Last Post: Jerome
  See what Country song was #1 on the day you were born Neil Cossar 2 2,215 08-04-2014, 11:38
Last Post: Music Head
  Positive realization: Born in the best era for music enjoyment Drealm 14 6,462 20-04-2012, 01:35
Last Post: SteveO
  THE CULT - Born Into This (2007) SteveO 0 1,724 18-02-2012, 18:22
Last Post: SteveO

Forum Jump: