Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
Oceansoul Wrote:KISS - Creatures of the Night (album)

Enjoyable, I like it. Confusedmile:

on KISS....
I have their first eight albums plus the four original solo albums on vinyl and cd...
I also have "the elder", "creatures of the night", "lick it up", "animalize" on vinyl,
I have "revenge", "carnival of souls", "psycho circus" and "sonic boom" on cd...
also have all their live albums on cd ('alive'/'alive II' on vinyl also....)
have all of Peter Criss' solo albums on cd and a live Ace album also....

all their albums have good and bad on them IMO, ie: half good/very good and also filler, except "carnival of souls" which I detest with a passion...

IMO, they only made two albums that were fantastic...."destroyer" and "revenge".

"psycho circus" had some very good moments, but again, several filler tracks, liked very little off "sonic boom" so I didn't buy "monster"...

ive seen KISS live five times including their first "kiss convention", which included lots of memorabilia on display, an 'unplugged' set plus a Q & A session....

the last time I saw them live I thought they (as vocalists) were ordinary, Paul couldn't hold or reach the notes he used to,
they have toured here twice since then and I refused to pay money to see them....

I always thought they were a great singles band but their albums lacked substance...
theres not many of Paul and Peter's songs I don't like...
I can take or leave Gene and Ace's songs overall...

its still pretty hard to knock them though, their live gigs are phenomenal to watch and IMO, their stage show is unsurpassed and probably never will be.

if you've never seen their "kiss symphony" dvd its well worth a look Ocean.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:on KISS....
I have their first eight albums plus the four original solo albums on vinyl and cd...
I also have "the elder", "creatures of the night", "lick it up", "animalize" on vinyl,
I have "revenge", "carnival of souls", "psycho circus" and "sonic boom" on cd...
also have all their live albums on cd ('alive'/'alive II' on vinyl also....)
have all of Peter Criss' solo albums on cd and a live Ace album also....

all their albums have good and bad on them IMO, ie: half good/very good and also filler, except "carnival of souls" which I detest with a passion...

IMO, they only made two albums that were fantastic...."destroyer" and "revenge".

"psycho circus" had some very good moments, but again, several filler tracks, liked very little off "sonic boom" so I didn't buy "monster"...

ive seen KISS live five times including their first "kiss convention", which included lots of memorabilia on display, an 'unplugged' set plus a Q & A session....

the last time I saw them live I thought they (as vocalists) were ordinary, Paul couldn't hold or reach the notes he used to,
they have toured here twice since then and I refused to pay money to see them....

I always thought they were a great singles band but their albums lacked substance...
theres not many of Paul and Peter's songs I don't like...
I can take or leave Gene and Ace's songs overall...

its still pretty hard to knock them though, their live gigs are phenomenal to watch and IMO, their stage show is unsurpassed and probably never will be.

if you've never seen their "kiss symphony" dvd its well worth a look Ocean.

Cool, I'll check that symphony out. I've heard Dynasty, Creatures of the Night, and some songs from Destroyer which I did like so that album is on my list. I'm pretty new to KISS and yeah they do seem to have some songs that are filler or are a bit generic. I don't mind listening to them for some old Hard Rock indulgence here and there.

I actually wanted to see KISS live a couple of months ago, but I couldn't afford the tickets (they were around $300!). My Mom wanted to go too, but those tickets haha.
just how do they justify $300 in their homeland when ticket prices for their last few tours here range between $90-$150 (obviously the pre show meet and greet tickets are a lot higher...).

IMO, theyre one of those bands that I believe everybody should see live at least once regardless of whether they like them or not because, to be honest, the music plays second fiddle to the "event", the "circus" or whatever else you want to call it.

and there is nothing I have ever seen live that comes close to a KISS concert for the entertainment value.
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:just how do they justify $300 in their homeland when ticket prices for their last few tours here range between $90-$150 (obviously the pre show meet and greet tickets are a lot higher...).

IMO, theyre one of those bands that I believe everybody should see live at least once regardless of whether they like them or not because, to be honest, the music plays second fiddle to the "event", the "circus" or whatever else you want to call it.

and there is nothing I have ever seen live that comes close to a KISS concert for the entertainment value.

I don't know haha, it could have something to do with the band's name value. Some well established artists here tend to be pricey to see, I've noticed. I do want to see KISS live sometime soon though.

I'm listening to Haken - Affinity (Prog Metal 2016)

I find myself spinning this album often. 1985, The Endless Knot, and Bound By Gravity are fine songs. Not sure I would call myself a big fan of the band, at this time though.

Ah, I'm tired right now, I need to get some coffee.
[Image: 220px-Metallica_-_St._Anger_cover.jpg]

METALLICA "st.anger" cd, 2003

career stats:
studio albums.......10
singles.................37

this album..................#1 US...#1 AU...#1 UK...#1 CAN
singles:
"st.anger"...........................#15 AU....#9 UK
"frantic".............................#22 AU...#16 UK
"the unnamed feeling".........#23 AU...#42 UK
"some kind of monster".......#19 AU

band's eighth studio album....
band is in elite company with worldwide career sales in excess of 100 million album sales..
im not a fan of their earlier thrash metal, I much prefer the hard rock side of them...
album sounds similar in sound to "load" and "reload", so if you like those, youll like this one...
album took several years to finish recording because vocalist James Hetfield entered rehab for an extended
stay to rid himself of his alcoholism, which, he did do.
as a bit of trivia:
Lars Ulrich's father and grandfather both represented Denmark in Davis Cup tennis and Olympic Tennis,
Lars was also on his way to becoming a professional tennis player until he met Hetfield and as they say,
the rest is history...

I LIKE THIS ALBUM

worst track: all within my hands
best track: purify

[video=youtube;9uK76ZwAXDg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uK76ZwAXDg[/video]

tracks:

1...frantic ***
2...st.anger ***
3...some kind of monster **
4...dirty window **
5...invisible kid **
6...my world **
7...shoot me again ***
8...sweet amber *
9...the unnamed feeling **
10.purify ***
11.all within my hands *

3s=4
2s=5
1s=2

rating: 2.1

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kY7jSesdxl0

Primus - Lacquer Head
[Image: 220px-From_Fear_to_Eternity.jpg]

IRON MAIDEN "from fear to eternity: the best of 1990-2010" cd, 2011

career stats:
studio albums..........16
singles....................43

this album..............#19 UK...#86 AU

double disc set containing all their hits, albeit UK hits between 1990 and 2010....
I have their previous compilation also, another double disc set called "best of the beast" which was
released in 1996, so there are a couple of overlaying songs that appear on both sets...
UK hard rock metal band, have had two vocalists over the years, but that hasn't diminished the band's success any...
lots of very good hard rock - cum - metal on these discs, twenty three tracks in all...
only ever bought their first album "number of the beast", found it to be full of lengthy guitar solos so I never went back
for seconds with them, but as a hard rock singles band few could match them IMO...
before I get any criticism of the spelling of my favourite track "paschendale", that is the way the band spell it,
for those who don't know, The Battle Of Passchendaele was an important battle on the Western Front in Ypres in WWI,
the name has been spelt several ways over the decades, I guess it depends which part of the world youre from as to the spelling.

I LOVE THIS ALBUM

worst track: or the greater good of God
best track: Paschendale

[video=youtube;c20-fm_WNew]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c20-fm_WNew[/video]

tracks:

DISC 1:

1...the wicker man ***
2...holy smoke ***
3...el dorado **
4...paschendale ***
5...different world ***
6...man of the edge (live) **
7...the reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg **
8...blood brothers ***
9...rain maker **
10.sign of the cross (live) **
11.brave new world ***
12.fear of the dark (live) **

DISC 2:

1...be quick or be dead **
2...tailgunner **
3...no more lies ***
4...coming home ***
5...the clansman (live) **
6...for the greater good of God **
7...these colours don't run **
8...bring your daughter......to the slaughter (live) ***
9...afraid to shoot strangers **
10.dance of death **
11.when the wild wind blows ***

3s=10
2s=13
1s=0

rating: 2.4

Helloween - Dr Stein
[video=youtube_share;3FFTQRmsK0k]http://youtu.be/3FFTQRmsK0k[/video]
I'm listening to Avenged Sevenfold's newly released album, "The Stage"
Here is the title track: [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fBYVlFXsEME[/video]

I hardly know much of their music except a couple of songs off of their album "Nightmare". This is going to be interesting, I think.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ive been listening to motorhead JimClark 4 2,850 25-11-2008, 18:25
Last Post: Tiggi