Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 5 Average
greatest australian singers...
My guess is that Down Under was a song used for sporting events, parties and any other Aussie gathering..it is a song to pump you up !...lol
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:was a mega hit here for obvious reasons...the song actually went back to #1 a couple of years after it originally did as it was the unofficial theme song for the America's Cup yacht race in 83 or 84(i think?)...when the Alan bond/Jon Bertram "australia II" boat claimed victory over the americans, that was it, straight in at #1 again...

personally, i find "down under" to be very immature, but millions love it so who am i to disagree
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
SteveO Wrote:My guess is that Down Under was a song used for sporting events, parties and any other Aussie gathering..it is a song to pump you up !...lol

it still is mate....
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

number 28: DARREN HAYES

[Image: 355970-top-singers-of-all-time.jpg]

Savage Garden was an Australian pop rock duo consisting of Darren Hayes as vocalist and Daniel Jones as instrumentalist. Formed in Logan City, Queensland in 1994, the duo achieved international success in late 1990s and early 2000s with the number-one hit singles "I Want You", "To the Moon and Back", "Truly Madly Deeply", "The Animal Song" and "I Knew I Loved You". Their two studio albums, Savage Garden and Affirmation reached number-one in Australia and peaked in the top ten in both the United Kingdom and United States.
The group won a record number of ten ARIA Music Awards in 1997 for their debut album and its related singles. They disbanded in 2001 and Hayes continued as a solo artist.
Savage Garden released their debut single "I Want You" under Roadshow Music. It peaked at No. 4 on the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) Singles Chart and on the 1996 End of Year Singles Chart was highest placed by an Australian artist.[SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP] On 30 September, they received their first ARIA Award nomination, in the category 'Breakthrough Artist – Single', for "I Want You".[SUP][7][/SUP] Their success garnered interest from international labels and they signed to Columbia Records. In November, "To the Moon and Back", was released which reached No. 1 in January 1997.[SUP][5][/SUP]
"I Want You" was released in North America in February, where it peaked at No. 4 on the United States Billboard Hot 100 and by April had achieved gold status according to Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).[SUP][8][/SUP][SUP][9][/SUP] It peaked at No. 1 on the Canadian Singles Chart.[SUP][8][/SUP] "Truly Madly Deeply", the band's third Australian single, was released in March and reached No. 1 and soon became their signature song.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP] In March, the duo's debut album, Savage Garden, entered the Australian charts at No. 1 and peaked there for a total of 19 weeks.[SUP][5][/SUP] According to rock music historian, Ian McFarlane, "[It] revealed the influence of 1980s UK pop on Hayes and Jones' songwriting. Tears for Fears melodies blended seamlessly with Eurythmics-like arrangements, while Cure-styled guitar provided the icing on the cake".[SUP][3][/SUP] The album was released internationally two weeks later. "I Want You" was released across Europe in April and reached No. 11 on the United Kingdom Singles Chart.[SUP][10][/SUP] At the end of May, "To the Moon and Back" was the most played song on US radio.
In June, a fourth single, "Break Me Shake Me" was released in Australia as the album reached No. 3 on the US Billboard 200 and was certified gold by RIAA.[SUP][9][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP] In September, Savage Garden won a record ten ARIA Awards from 13 nominations for the album and associated singles.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][12][/SUP] They followed with their fifth Australian single, "Universe" in November. "Truly Madly Deeply" became their third US release and replaced Elton John's "Candle in the Wind 1997", after its 14-week run, at No. 1.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][8][/SUP]
In January 1998, "All Around Me", was released as a radio only single in Australia, although about 3000 physical copies were given away at their second concert in Brisbane. By the end of the year, "Truly Madly Deeply" was the most-played song on US radio[SUP][3][/SUP] and the only one-sided single to spend a full year in the Top 30 of the Billboard Hot 100. In November, "Santa Monica", the final single from the album, was released exclusively in Japan, accompanied by a video of a live performance at the Hard Rock Cafe.
As of 2005, Savage Garden had been certified 12× platinum in Australia,[SUP][13][/SUP] 7× platinum in the US,[SUP][9][/SUP] 3× platinum in Canada,[SUP][14][/SUP] 2× platinum in New Zealand, Singapore, and in the UK.

In February 1999, "The Animal Song", which was featured in the Touchstone film The Other Sister, became a No. 3 hit in Australia and Top 20 in the UK and US. In September they released "I Knew I Loved You" – a love ballad – which peaked at No. 4 in Australia and No. 10 in the UK. It was followed in November by the duo's second album, Affirmation, produced by Walter Afanasieff (Ricky Martin, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion).[SUP][3][/SUP] Described by McFarlane as "pure unadulterated pop, boasting enticing melodies and a classy and sleek production sound".[SUP][3][/SUP] The album peaked at No. 1 in Australia and eventually achieved 8× platinum.[SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][13][/SUP] Within a month it went platinum in the US, partly due to the success of the single "I Knew I Loved You", which hit No. 1 on the Hot 100, subsequently going platinum and becoming the most-played single on US radio for the year.[SUP][8][/SUP][SUP][9][/SUP]
Affirmation was a new turn for Savage Garden – it was mainstream pop and some songs had an adult contemporary sound. The group finished the year by winning two Billboard Music Awards: Adult Contemporary Single of the Year and Hot 100 Singles Airplay of the Year.
In February 2000, as "Crash and Burn" became the third single from their second album, 1997's "Truly Madly Deeply" was still on the Monitor/Billboard Adult Contemporary Airplay Chart, breaking the record for length of time on that chart. It would finally drop off after 123 weeks,[SUP][16][/SUP] while "Crash and Burn" peaked at No. 24.
In June, Hayes performed "'O Sole Mio" at Italian tenor Luciano Pavarotti's annual charitable benefit concert Pavarotti and Friends. Savage Garden's success was reflected at the Billboard Music Awards, where they won Best Adult Contemporary Video and No. 1 Adult Contemporary Song of the Year, for "I Knew I Loved You", and No. 1 Adult Contemporary Artist of the Year. "I Knew I Loved You" stayed on the Monitor/Billboard Adult Contemporary Airplay Chart for 114 weeks.
[SUP]
In late 2000, there was media speculation that the band would break up due to Hayes starting his solo album project. He announced that Jones was taking time off to work on a record label he had founded. The band took a hiatus but was expected to reform by early 2002, however in October 2001, Hayes announced that Savage Garden had broken up. Hayes and Jones had agreed that they would break up after finishing their tour for their second album. It was reported that Jones did not learn about the actual date of the break-up until he read the report of Hayes announcing the split. After the announcement, the band's website posted a statement:
[TABLE="class: cquote2, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 20, align: left"]“[/TD]
[TD]We are extremely grateful to our fans all around the world for their incredible support over the years. The success of Savage Garden and our time together has been an amazing experience.. one that we will never forget. We just hope that you all understand our individual needs to continue growing[/TD]
[TD="width: 20, align: right"]”[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
In an interview on the musicMAX network, Hayes said that a few weeks before the release of their second album, Jones did not like the fame that the band was receiving and was not happy. Hayes wanted to move on in the music industry as a solo artist. His first solo single, "Insatiable", was released in January 2002 and his solo album, Spin, followed in March. It spawned several UK Top 40 singles, including "I Miss You", "Strange Relationship", and "Crush (1980 Me)". Hayes has released more solo albums.
Jones started his own production company, Meridien Musik, and built a recording studio, Level 7 Studios, to record young Australian artists including Aneiki and Bachelor Girl.
In August 2007, Hayes was asked by The Daily Telegraph if he and Jones would ever consider a reunion, he replied abruptly, "No, never. I once said I'd only do it if it cured cancer, and that's still how I feel."[SUP][[/SUP]
[/SUP]
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPhii_xVpJw video

my thoughts on Darren Hayes...

i dont think he would really be called what youd say "a great singer" but his falsetto vocals suited what he sang with Savege Garden and he did write some really beautiful songs back in the day...i love those guys,
as for his solo career, im not really a fan but i do own three of his solo albums

numer 27: GLENN SHORROCK

[Image: 355500-top-singers-of-all-time.jpg]

Glenn Barrie Shorrock (born 30 June 1944) is an English-born Australian singer-songwriter. He was a founding member of pop groups The Twilights, Axiom and Little River Band as well as being a solo performer.
The Twilights had eight consecutive national hit singles including "Needle in a Haystack" and "What's Wrong with the Way I Live". Axiom's top 10 hits were "Arkansas Grass", "Little Ray of Sunshine" and "My Baby's Gone". Little River Band had national and international chart success, including the Shorrock-penned "Emma", "Help Is on Its Way" and "Cool Change".
Shorrock was inducted into the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) Hall of Fame as a solo artist in 1991 and as a member of Little River Band in 2004. In May 2001 the Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA), as part of its 75th Anniversary celebrations, named "Cool Change" as one of the APRA Top 30 Australian songs of all time.In 1962, Shorrock formed his first band, The Checkmates, with Clem McCartney, Mike Sykes and Billy Volraat.[SUP][6][/SUP] They were a doo wop harmony group covering The Platters and The Crew Cuts material.[SUP][7][/SUP] Sometimes teaming up with instrumental groups, The Vector Men or The Hurricanes, The Checkmates performed in Adelaide cafes and folk clubs.[SUP][8][/SUP] As a result of The Beatles' popularity, members of The Checkmates and The Hurricanes merged to form The Twilights in 1964.
In May 1969 in Melbourne, Shorrock formed an early Australian 'supergroup', Axiom, with Brian Cadd on keyboards and vocals, Don Mudie on lead guitar (both ex-The Groop), Doug Lavery (The Valentines) on drums and Chris Stockley (Cam-Pact) on guitar.[SUP][10][/SUP] They recorded two highly acclaimed albums, Fool's Gold and If Only...; and had three top 10 singles, "Arkansas Grass", "Little Ray of Sunshine" and "My Baby's Gone" on the Go-Set national charts.[SUP][10][/SUP] Axiom travelled to UK but disbanded there in March 1971, Shorrock had also parted with his first wife of four years, Sue.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP]
Shorrock remained in the UK to pursue his solo career, he signed with MAM Records and released the self-penned "Let's Get the Band Together" single in October 1971.[SUP][4][/SUP] This was followed by a cover of "Rock'n'Roll Lullaby" (written by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil) in March 1972.[SUP][4][/SUP] As Andre L'Escargot and His Society Syncopaters, he released "Purple Umbrella" with his backing band being Quartet members Britten, Kevin Peek, Trevor Spencer and Alan Tarney.[SUP][4][/SUP] He joined the multinational progressive rock band Esperanto, which released their debut album Esperanto Rock Orchestra in 1973 with the Shorrock written track "Statue of Liberty".[SUP][4][/SUP] He left Esperanto before their third album was released in 1974 and performed backing vocals for Cliff Richard.
Mississippi was an Australian rock band which was working in UK with Beeb Birtles on vocals and guitar, Graham Goble (later Graeham Goble) on guitar and vocals and Derek Pellicci on drums. They contacted Glenn Wheatley (former bass guitarist for The Masters Apprentices) to become their manager. Birtles, previously in Adelaide band Zoot, called Shorrock to take part in the line up. Shorrock returned to Australia in October 1974 and joined Mississippi in January 1975 in Melbourne.[SUP][11][/SUP] They were soon renamed as Little River Band with the original line up of Birtles, Goble, Pellicci, Shorrock and lead guitarist Ric Formosa and bassist Roger McLachlan. [SUP][2][/SUP] The group went on to become one of the most successful bands ever to come out of Australia, and the first to achieve major commercial success in the United States.[SUP][3][/SUP] For Little River Band, Shorrock wrote the hits "Emma", "Help Is on Its Way" (Australian No. 1) and "Cool Change".[SUP][4][/SUP]
While still a member of Little River Band, Shorrock released a solo single, a cover of Bobby Darin's 1959 hit "Dream Lover" in April 1979 on EMI, which peaked at No. 8 on the Kent Music Report Singles Chart.[SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][12][/SUP] In February 1982, Shorrock left Little River Band and was replaced by former 1960s pop singer, John Farnham who was managed by Wheatley.[SUP][8][/SUP] Shorrock returned to Little River Band in 1988 but, despite several quality albums, they did not regain the earlier stellar recognition. He left again in 1991 leaving the naming rights with guitarist Stephen Housden.[SUP][3][/SUP] In May 2001 the Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA), as part of its 75th Anniversary celebrations, named "Cool Change", as one of the Top 30 Australian songs of all time...
In 1982 Shorrock released a solo album Villain of the Peace and a single, "Rock and Roll Soldier" on Capitol Records recorded in Los Angeles with John Boylan (Charlie Daniels, Little River Band) producing. "Rock and Roll Soldier" reached the Australian top 40 in November but he did not achieve the international success attained with Little River Band. Late in 1982 he toured Australia and then teamed with Renée Geyer to release a duet, "Goin' Back" on Mushroom Records in February 1983. One of his backing singers was Wendy Matthews who had been a session singer in Los Angeles.[SUP][14][/SUP] "We're Coming to Get You", which peaked at No. 6 in October, was recorded with folk group, The Bushwackers it was the theme for the film, We're Coming to Get You. He released "Don't Girls Get Lonely?" in November. In 1984, he recorded "Restless" for the documentary World Safari II: The Final Adventure.[SUP][4][/SUP]
In 1985, Shorrock released The First Twenty Years, which was a double-LP album compilation of his career work with tracks by The Twilights, Axiom, Little River Band and solo work.[SUP][15][/SUP] He was compere of Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) TV music series, Rock Arena in 1986 and as a breakfast announcer for radio station Magic 11 in Sydney.[SUP][16][/SUP] His solo single, "American Flyers" appeared in July. He performed on the tour of stage show One for the Money in 1986–87.[SUP][16][/SUP] He appeared in other stage shows including his own showcase productions Go Cat Go (1990–91) and Two Up (1996).
On 25 March 1991, Shorrock was inducted into the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) Hall of Fame, alongside contemporary rocker Billy Thorpe, bass-baritone Peter Dawson and jazz musician Don Burrows.[SUP][17][/SUP] In 1993, he re-joined with Axiom band mate, Brian Cadd, to record Blazing Salads and three singles for Blue Martin Records, and a subsequent two year tour.[SUP][18][/SUP] On tour Shorrock played his hit songs, along with those of Axiom accompanied by Cadd and a backing band of Rex Goh on guitar (ex-Air Supply), Kirk Lorange on guitar (Richard Clapton Band) and Mark Kennedy on drums (Spectrum, Ayers Rock, Marcia Hines Band).[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][18][/SUP]
Long Way to the Top was a 2001 ABC TV six-part documentary on the history of Australian rock and roll from 1956 to the modern era.[SUP][19][/SUP] Shorrock provided interviews, "In Awe of The Beatles", "Being Pop Stars" and "Coming from the UK", on his early years with The Twilights.[SUP][20][/SUP] Long Way to the Top Tour followed in August–September 2002 with Shorrock appearing with The Twilights in the first set performing "What's Wrong with the Way I Live?" and "Needle in a Haystack"; he returned in the second set with Axiom to perform "Arkansas Grass" and "Little Ray of Sunshine".[SUP][16][/SUP][SUP][21][/SUP]
In 2002 Shorrock reunited with other Little River Band founders Beeb Birtles and Graeham Goble to form Birtles Shorrock Goble.[SUP][16][/SUP] On 17 October 2004, the 1970s members of Little River Band: Birtles, David Briggs, Goble, George McArdle, Derek Pellicci and Shorrock, were inducted into the ARIA Hall of Fame.[SUP][22][/SUP] The later members including fellow Australian, John Farnham, and US-based musicians, were not included in this induction.[SUP][22][/SUP] Due to a 2002 legal ruling on their right to use the band's name—two US-based members held the trademark—they performed "Help Is on the Way" as Classic Lineup of the Little River Band or Little River Band – Classic Lineup (sources vary).[SUP][22][/SUP] Birtles Shorrock Goble recorded a successful DVD and CD, Full Circle (2005) and toured until 2007. In August–September, the trio played a medley of Little River Band hits at the Countdown Spectacular 2 concert series.
In 2005 Shorrock also undertook his career-spanning The Reminiscing Tour - Glenn Shorrock & Friends with invited guest singers including Doug Parkinson and Wendy Matthews.[SUP][16][/SUP] In May–June 2006, he partnered actress Judy Nunn on the first season of reality TV singing competition, It Takes Two, they were voted off after week three.[SUP][23][/SUP] His first solo CD for seven years, Meanwhile, which contains acoustic versions of his career hits was released in 2007 on the Liberation Blue label. He performed The Beatles tribute show Let It Be with Parkinson, Sharon O'Neill and Mark Williams.[SUP][24][/SUP]
In 2008 Shorrock toured with the musical Shout! The Legend of the Wild One, based on the life of Australian rocker Johnny O'Keefe.[SUP][24][/SUP][SUP][25][/SUP] In July 2010, Shorrock performed a retrospective of his 45 years in the music industry.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP] Currently Glenn Shorrock continues to tour Australia performing for public and private events in Australia and promotes new local music artists. In early 2013 Glenn and his band were headlining performers in Macau, New York and London for the media launch of the Titanic II project. This was at the personal invitation of Australian entrepreneur Clive Palmer.

[video=youtube;iq2WJ2r0NkM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq2WJ2r0NkM[/video]

my opinion of Glenn...
a brilliant vocalist who'se two bands "axiom" and the more famous "little river band" made some of the greatest "soft rock" songs between 68ish and the early to mid 1980s...the guy still tours to this day, performs on stage shows in musicals(pretty sure he was in an Aussie production of "grease" and "jesus christ superstar" recently)
above is one of Little River Band's biggest hits, below, find one of Axiom's hits...

[video=youtube;DWOJ6c9JUrA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWOJ6c9JUrA[/video]

I have their First Under the Wire album..mainly because of the fabulous Lonesome Loser & Cool Change! ...such gorgeous vocals and harmonies!
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:numer 27: GLENN SHORROCK

[Image: 355500-top-singers-of-all-time.jpg]

Glenn Barrie Shorrock (born 30 June 1944) is an English-born Australian singer-songwriter. He was a founding member of pop groups The Twilights, Axiom and Little River Band as well as being a solo performer.
The Twilights had eight consecutive national hit singles including "Needle in a Haystack" and "What's Wrong with the Way I Live". Axiom's top 10 hits were "Arkansas Grass", "Little Ray of Sunshine" and "My Baby's Gone". Little River Band had national and international chart success, including the Shorrock-penned "Emma", "Help Is on Its Way" and "Cool Change".
Shorrock was inducted into the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) Hall of Fame as a solo artist in 1991 and as a member of Little River Band in 2004. In May 2001 the Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA), as part of its 75th Anniversary celebrations, named "Cool Change" as one of the APRA Top 30 Australian songs of all time.In 1962, Shorrock formed his first band, The Checkmates, with Clem McCartney, Mike Sykes and Billy Volraat.[SUP][6][/SUP] They were a doo wop harmony group covering The Platters and The Crew Cuts material.[SUP][7][/SUP] Sometimes teaming up with instrumental groups, The Vector Men or The Hurricanes, The Checkmates performed in Adelaide cafes and folk clubs.[SUP][8][/SUP] As a result of The Beatles' popularity, members of The Checkmates and The Hurricanes merged to form The Twilights in 1964.
In May 1969 in Melbourne, Shorrock formed an early Australian 'supergroup', Axiom, with Brian Cadd on keyboards and vocals, Don Mudie on lead guitar (both ex-The Groop), Doug Lavery (The Valentines) on drums and Chris Stockley (Cam-Pact) on guitar.[SUP][10][/SUP] They recorded two highly acclaimed albums, Fool's Gold and If Only...; and had three top 10 singles, "Arkansas Grass", "Little Ray of Sunshine" and "My Baby's Gone" on the Go-Set national charts.[SUP][10][/SUP] Axiom travelled to UK but disbanded there in March 1971, Shorrock had also parted with his first wife of four years, Sue.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP]
Shorrock remained in the UK to pursue his solo career, he signed with MAM Records and released the self-penned "Let's Get the Band Together" single in October 1971.[SUP][4][/SUP] This was followed by a cover of "Rock'n'Roll Lullaby" (written by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil) in March 1972.[SUP][4][/SUP] As Andre L'Escargot and His Society Syncopaters, he released "Purple Umbrella" with his backing band being Quartet members Britten, Kevin Peek, Trevor Spencer and Alan Tarney.[SUP][4][/SUP] He joined the multinational progressive rock band Esperanto, which released their debut album Esperanto Rock Orchestra in 1973 with the Shorrock written track "Statue of Liberty".[SUP][4][/SUP] He left Esperanto before their third album was released in 1974 and performed backing vocals for Cliff Richard.
Mississippi was an Australian rock band which was working in UK with Beeb Birtles on vocals and guitar, Graham Goble (later Graeham Goble) on guitar and vocals and Derek Pellicci on drums. They contacted Glenn Wheatley (former bass guitarist for The Masters Apprentices) to become their manager. Birtles, previously in Adelaide band Zoot, called Shorrock to take part in the line up. Shorrock returned to Australia in October 1974 and joined Mississippi in January 1975 in Melbourne.[SUP][11][/SUP] They were soon renamed as Little River Band with the original line up of Birtles, Goble, Pellicci, Shorrock and lead guitarist Ric Formosa and bassist Roger McLachlan. [SUP][2][/SUP] The group went on to become one of the most successful bands ever to come out of Australia, and the first to achieve major commercial success in the United States.[SUP][3][/SUP] For Little River Band, Shorrock wrote the hits "Emma", "Help Is on Its Way" (Australian No. 1) and "Cool Change".[SUP][4][/SUP]
While still a member of Little River Band, Shorrock released a solo single, a cover of Bobby Darin's 1959 hit "Dream Lover" in April 1979 on EMI, which peaked at No. 8 on the Kent Music Report Singles Chart.[SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][12][/SUP] In February 1982, Shorrock left Little River Band and was replaced by former 1960s pop singer, John Farnham who was managed by Wheatley.[SUP][8][/SUP] Shorrock returned to Little River Band in 1988 but, despite several quality albums, they did not regain the earlier stellar recognition. He left again in 1991 leaving the naming rights with guitarist Stephen Housden.[SUP][3][/SUP] In May 2001 the Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA), as part of its 75th Anniversary celebrations, named "Cool Change", as one of the Top 30 Australian songs of all time...
In 1982 Shorrock released a solo album Villain of the Peace and a single, "Rock and Roll Soldier" on Capitol Records recorded in Los Angeles with John Boylan (Charlie Daniels, Little River Band) producing. "Rock and Roll Soldier" reached the Australian top 40 in November but he did not achieve the international success attained with Little River Band. Late in 1982 he toured Australia and then teamed with Renée Geyer to release a duet, "Goin' Back" on Mushroom Records in February 1983. One of his backing singers was Wendy Matthews who had been a session singer in Los Angeles.[SUP][14][/SUP] "We're Coming to Get You", which peaked at No. 6 in October, was recorded with folk group, The Bushwackers it was the theme for the film, We're Coming to Get You. He released "Don't Girls Get Lonely?" in November. In 1984, he recorded "Restless" for the documentary World Safari II: The Final Adventure.[SUP][4][/SUP]
In 1985, Shorrock released The First Twenty Years, which was a double-LP album compilation of his career work with tracks by The Twilights, Axiom, Little River Band and solo work.[SUP][15][/SUP] He was compere of Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) TV music series, Rock Arena in 1986 and as a breakfast announcer for radio station Magic 11 in Sydney.[SUP][16][/SUP] His solo single, "American Flyers" appeared in July. He performed on the tour of stage show One for the Money in 1986–87.[SUP][16][/SUP] He appeared in other stage shows including his own showcase productions Go Cat Go (1990–91) and Two Up (1996).
On 25 March 1991, Shorrock was inducted into the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) Hall of Fame, alongside contemporary rocker Billy Thorpe, bass-baritone Peter Dawson and jazz musician Don Burrows.[SUP][17][/SUP] In 1993, he re-joined with Axiom band mate, Brian Cadd, to record Blazing Salads and three singles for Blue Martin Records, and a subsequent two year tour.[SUP][18][/SUP] On tour Shorrock played his hit songs, along with those of Axiom accompanied by Cadd and a backing band of Rex Goh on guitar (ex-Air Supply), Kirk Lorange on guitar (Richard Clapton Band) and Mark Kennedy on drums (Spectrum, Ayers Rock, Marcia Hines Band).[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][18][/SUP]
Long Way to the Top was a 2001 ABC TV six-part documentary on the history of Australian rock and roll from 1956 to the modern era.[SUP][19][/SUP] Shorrock provided interviews, "In Awe of The Beatles", "Being Pop Stars" and "Coming from the UK", on his early years with The Twilights.[SUP][20][/SUP] Long Way to the Top Tour followed in August–September 2002 with Shorrock appearing with The Twilights in the first set performing "What's Wrong with the Way I Live?" and "Needle in a Haystack"; he returned in the second set with Axiom to perform "Arkansas Grass" and "Little Ray of Sunshine".[SUP][16][/SUP][SUP][21][/SUP]
In 2002 Shorrock reunited with other Little River Band founders Beeb Birtles and Graeham Goble to form Birtles Shorrock Goble.[SUP][16][/SUP] On 17 October 2004, the 1970s members of Little River Band: Birtles, David Briggs, Goble, George McArdle, Derek Pellicci and Shorrock, were inducted into the ARIA Hall of Fame.[SUP][22][/SUP] The later members including fellow Australian, John Farnham, and US-based musicians, were not included in this induction.[SUP][22][/SUP] Due to a 2002 legal ruling on their right to use the band's name—two US-based members held the trademark—they performed "Help Is on the Way" as Classic Lineup of the Little River Band or Little River Band – Classic Lineup (sources vary).[SUP][22][/SUP] Birtles Shorrock Goble recorded a successful DVD and CD, Full Circle (2005) and toured until 2007. In August–September, the trio played a medley of Little River Band hits at the Countdown Spectacular 2 concert series.
In 2005 Shorrock also undertook his career-spanning The Reminiscing Tour - Glenn Shorrock & Friends with invited guest singers including Doug Parkinson and Wendy Matthews.[SUP][16][/SUP] In May–June 2006, he partnered actress Judy Nunn on the first season of reality TV singing competition, It Takes Two, they were voted off after week three.[SUP][23][/SUP] His first solo CD for seven years, Meanwhile, which contains acoustic versions of his career hits was released in 2007 on the Liberation Blue label. He performed The Beatles tribute show Let It Be with Parkinson, Sharon O'Neill and Mark Williams.[SUP][24][/SUP]
In 2008 Shorrock toured with the musical Shout! The Legend of the Wild One, based on the life of Australian rocker Johnny O'Keefe.[SUP][24][/SUP][SUP][25][/SUP] In July 2010, Shorrock performed a retrospective of his 45 years in the music industry.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP] Currently Glenn Shorrock continues to tour Australia performing for public and private events in Australia and promotes new local music artists. In early 2013 Glenn and his band were headlining performers in Macau, New York and London for the media launch of the Titanic II project. This was at the personal invitation of Australian entrepreneur Clive Palmer.

[video=youtube;iq2WJ2r0NkM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq2WJ2r0NkM[/video]
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
LOL, "lonesome loser" was the first LRB single i bought!

number 26: DOUG PARKINSON

[Image: 353921-top-singers-of-all-time.jpg]

Douglas "Doug" Parkinson is an Australian singer who first came to fame with his band, Doug Parkinson In Focus, in 1969. He has had numerous hits on the Australian Top 40 charts.
Parkinson first started singing with a band called The A Sound but, in 1966 graduated to a more professional outfit, The Questions. Led by Rory Thomas (piano, organ, woodwind and brass) the group held a residency at the Canopus Room, colloqually known as "The Can", at The Manly Pacific Hotel in Manly, a seaside suburb of Sydney, Australia.
In 1969 The Questions changed personnel and in the process became a four-piece band and took on the name of Doug Parkinson In Focus. This band, made up of some of Sydney's top musicians, Billy Green (guitar), Mark Kennedy (drums) and Duncan McGuire (bass), allowed him to showcase his powerful, soulful voice. With this band he rose to prominence with a number of Top 20 hit records in Australia such as "Dear Prudence" and "Without You" / "Hair", the latter written by guitarist and songwriter Billy Green (aka Wil Greenstreet [SUP][1][/SUP]) in the mid-1970s, when Green composed the soundtrack to the film Stone, Parkinson sang on two tracks.
In 1969 Doug Parkinson In Focus won Australia' prestigious band competition, Hoadley's Battle of the Sounds. Following the demise of that band he joined Vince Melouney's post-Bee Gees supergroup Fanny Adams, which recorded one album and broke up. He then embarked on a successful solo career. He also sang the theme song of the short-lived 1980s soap opera, Arcade.
He continues to be a perennial favourite in stage shows, cabaret, club work and recording until the present day.

Doug had some 31 top 40 hits here between 1966 and 1979

[video=youtube;mAbEroJZR50]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAbEroJZR50[/video]

my thoughts on Parkinson....

im not a fan simply because he was primarily one of those artists who mainly recorded covers...
any idiot can do that(copy someone elses songs!)...
i do however like his voice, always thought he had a bit of an Engelbert/Tom Jones quality,but alas, like i stated, he was a covers singer!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Australian album charts 2023: CRAZY-HORSE 37 7,810 23-09-2023, 05:17
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Australian Albums charts for 2022 CRAZY-HORSE 50 3,928 30-12-2022, 07:32
  Greatest Frontmen In Rock Music Head 19 5,304 25-10-2022, 08:04
  Australian Albums Charts for 2021: CRAZY-HORSE 51 5,861 24-12-2021, 19:51
  Australian Charts 2020: CRAZY-HORSE 50 7,982 19-12-2020, 09:17
  Rolling Stone's 100 greatest debut singles: CRAZY-HORSE 3 1,149 23-05-2020, 00:50
  Greatest All-Around Musician of All Time coykiesaol 25 7,302 21-06-2018, 19:36
Last Post: Lovely
  singers who have been in more than one classic group oldies65 2 808 25-05-2015, 02:13
Last Post: oldies65
  Do you guys think this is the greatest music video of all Time? jeffjeff 1 679 01-12-2014, 11:58
Last Post: Music Head
  Australian singers CRAZY-HORSE 19 3,209 15-08-2014, 02:11