Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Ornette Coleman, RIP
#1
There aren't many true innovators in any branch of music--one in jazz has just died. Here's a lengthy obit from the NY Times and a greatest hits column:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/12/arts/m...tuary.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/12/arts/m...-hits.html << It opens with an ad and then music

CAVEAT: Mr. Coleman was no fan of melody or harmony and I cherish both. I recognize his genius but dislike his music so no tune links.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Reply
#2
Death sucks. Sad "Shape of Jazz to Come" is such a classic. R.I.P. Mr. Coleman.
Reply
#3
Just to show I'm not a total S-bag, here's AMG's take: http://www.allmusic.com/blog/post/ornett...an-tribute
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Reply
#4
Rest in peace Brother Ornette! I love his unique approach to music...in an interview he said he composed music from just ideas, apparently bebop drummer Max Roach went backstage after Coleman played and punched him in the face!...thank you for all the great music innovators...his first concert featured a plastic sax!
One of my favourites from the genius....


[video=youtube;kqwdRBWvPs0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqwdRBWvPs0[/video]
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Smooth Jazz Bassist Mitchell Coleman Jr. Is Taking Funk/Fusion By Storm fuschiaorchid 0 1,009 12-03-2015, 02:15
Last Post: fuschiaorchid

Forum Jump: