CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:[Image: 220px-Evergrey_-_Torn.jpg]

EVERGREY "torn" cd 2008

career stats:
studio albums.....9
singles..............13

this album..................#4 Sweden...#148 France

Swedish Prog Rock band....
seventh album....
sound more in line with the hard rock prog of Dream Theater to me than straight up Prog...
not a bad album, too much of a muchness for the most part though...
lacking the class and orchestrations of Dream Theater IMO...
two love tracks on here though, theyre more rock ballad than the heavier material on here...
wouldn't bother getting another one of their albums and only got this one because it was $3 in a discount bin...
well worth the $3, but that's about it...

I LIKE THIS ALBUM

worst track: these scars
best track: soaked

[video=youtube;3g1GQabKngY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g1GQabKngY[/video]

tracks:

1...broken wings **
2...soaked ***
3...fear **
4...when Kingdoms fall **
5...in confidence *
6...fail **
7...numb **
8...torn ***
9...nothing is stupid **
10.still walk alone **
11.these scars *
12.caught in a lie *

3s=2
2s=7
1s=3

rating: 1.9
I've listened to a couple of Evergrey's albums, "The Inner Circle" and "Hymns For The Broken." It took a while for me to get into the band, but l like these two albums fairly well now. Evergrey does have progressive elements in their music, personally I wouldn't compare them to Dream Theater who are crazy hard to match when it comes to technicality, though. I haven't gotten to this album yet.
I've been listening to Nirvana's nevermind.
Oceansoul Wrote:I've listened to a couple of Evergrey's albums, "The Inner Circle" and "Hymns For The Broken." It took a while for me to get into the band, but l like these two albums fairly well now. Evergrey does have progressive elements in their music, personally I wouldn't compare them to Dream Theater who are crazy hard to match when it comes to technicality, though. I haven't gotten to this album yet.

I just noticed this one Ocean....

I didn't mean they had the technical skills/prowess of Dream Theater by any means,
just that they used a bit of orchestration work here and there and they have variations in the tracks themselves like DT...
but yes, from my limited knowledge of Prog Metal/Symphonic Metal DT are in a league of their own.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:I just noticed this one Ocean....

I didn't mean they had the technical skills/prowess of Dream Theater by any means,
just that they used a bit of orchestration work here and there and they have variations in the tracks themselves like DT...
but yes, from my limited knowledge of Prog Metal/Symphonic Metal DT are in a league of their own.

Dream Theater has a big influence and reputation in Prog Metal so I wouldn't be too surprised if they influenced Evergrey either, though they do sound different to me for the most part. I get what you're saying, nonetheless.
I've been listening to Meshuggah's new album release, The Violent Sleep of Reason, this morning. The guitar work is pretty good, groovy, and kind of melodic and the drumming is fantastic, so yeah the musicianship is tight here. The vocalist is alright, but stays the same for the most part. Kind of meh-tastic.

This album seems like something that I would need to be in the mood for and there is very little if any breathing room. I guess the band is pretty go-hard-or-go-home all the time which means I probably won't be listening to them all that often. Hmm, I'll listen to it a few more times to see whether my opinion of the album grows or dwindles. This is the first album I've heard by them.

Track highlights: Clockworks, Ivory Tower, Stifled.
Enshine - Stream of Light

I'm listening to this band's album called Origin, atm. It's interesting.
Im really digging this: https://restrepose.bandcamp.com

Stoner Rock and Hard Rock.
Opeth - Strange Brew

One of the things that stands out to me about this album is the songwriting. The lyrics are less... mysterious than usual. Also that prog influence. Hello. It's interesting.
Anciients - Voice of the Void

Not a bad album so far, it's an enjoyable listen for me. They're a Sludge Metal band.
KISS - Creatures of the Night (album)

Enjoyable, I like it. Confusedmile:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ive been listening to motorhead JimClark 4 2,850 25-11-2008, 18:25
Last Post: Tiggi