Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
What Is Good?
#1
I'm in a rut with the music I listen to. Not that it isn't good, but a little too predictable now that I've listened to it as much as I have. What I listen to at the moment, what I want something similar to is frou frou, john frusciante, imogen heap, ani defranco, yeah yeah yeahs, fionna apple, regina spektor, blind melon. I like a range, the important thing to me is is it interesting when you listen to it, lyrics are second to music but I like something, lyrically, that isn't predictable-not a limmerick-not too "pop-ish". So, I'm looking for suggestions of what else I might like, or what do you like?
Reply
#2
Apologies if any of this is too obvious, but without knowing what you're familiar with.....

- Bjork should fit with your tastes. Her most recent albums are challenging but dazzling IMV.
- Neil Young, especially the albums with Crazy Horse. Yes, he's old, but he still rocks.
- Joni Mitchell. Another oldie, but well worth investigating.
- Aimee Mann. Intelligent songs, well written.
- Beck. Same as ^, but a bloke.
- Kristin Hersh. Ex-Leader of post-punk band Throwing Muses. One of my fave artists. Oh, & Throwing Muses while we're at it.
- Martha Wainwright. Just heard her new one, and it's good.
- Ween. Uncategorisable, but worth checking out.
- Drive-By Truckers. Good ol' rock & roll.
- Flaming Lips. Just cos they're a great band.
- Roy Harper. Brit folkie who's also ancient. Genius IMO.
- PJ Harvey. I'm just picking from my favourites now. Brilliant UK song-writer who can do no wrong for me.
- Nick Cave with or without the Bad Seeds. Her ^ Australian ex. He's good too !!
- Talking Heads. Always worth investigation if you haven't already.
- The The. UK band that are always interesting.

Please don't tell me you hate them all :Wink:.
Reply
#3
Good call on Bjork and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sometimes porn music is really good Drealm 23 9,206 04-07-2021, 13:55
Last Post: JeromeD
  was Santa good to you? CRAZY-HORSE 5 2,639 10-08-2018, 17:55
Last Post: Jerome
  Another songs like gorillaz-feel good inc??? miss021019 0 2,401 02-12-2016, 14:15
Last Post: miss021019
  Now this is a good story Jerome 0 1,165 08-03-2016, 16:07
Last Post: Jerome
  was Santa good to you this year???? CRAZY-HORSE 10 4,994 27-12-2015, 09:19
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Good website Coin 0 1,374 09-11-2015, 13:09
Last Post: Coin
  A good idea Jerome 0 1,232 26-09-2015, 03:14
Last Post: Jerome
  Hey CH - GOOD NEWS Jerome 2 3,142 26-08-2015, 04:42
Last Post: Jerome
  Even budget apartments need good sound, right? jazzboCR 0 1,110 21-06-2015, 06:35
Last Post: jazzboCR
  It's over-the-top--and that's a good thing jazzboCR 0 1,078 19-03-2015, 17:56
Last Post: jazzboCR

Forum Jump: