Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
NEW ALBUM: David Gray - Gold in a Brass Age
#1
DAVID GRAY ~ Gold in a Brass Age

[Image: image.jpg?c=7Z0aYzBp8jxFlOxcHysrtd_M69_U...2-yAg=&f=5]

Oh darn - I’d been looking forward to this release. He’s gone all bass heavy, electronic and experimental along with accompanying ‘uh uh’ rapper type grunts, that peuw peuw siren-like effect and a vocal distorter (whatever it’s called).  A far cry from the luminosity of 2014’s Mutineers and even further than that from White Ladder. He’s allowed to diversify, I concede, (reluctantly) but I hope he heads back home sometime. Personally, I don’t find evolution here and am hoping it’s just a blip on the road to better things further down the line!

There are occasional shades of the David Gray I’ve come to know and love, and in addition to the electronic elements there are some interesting instruments - tuba, trombone and then there’s the cello courtesy of Caroline Dale, however, after the first two tracks, I found the album a bit of a chore which is a shame – I so much wanted to be delighted. There are one or two songs that pass muster, but I will not be looking for this one as I’m not sold. Disappointing.

An example of experimentation – “Furthering” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoPhNZwkhFg

Best is the lead track, IMHO …



"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Reply
#2
I will make it to this one on Tuesday

Reply
#3
Damn it!
I too was looking forward to hearing this one Ruby...
haven't heard it yet and thanks to your description I don't think I want to now!

sounds like he left the station on the wrong bus..
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
#4
enters the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart at #186

courtesy of Spotify

yea that was a flatliner for me
like a Jack Johnson album
just blah

Reply
#5
^Glad it's not just me.
I prefer some of Jack's stuff over this!!
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Reply
#6
If he is going to carry on down this road he might as well pack it in. Not impressed at all.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Roger Taylor - "violence insane in a beautiful world" CRAZY-HORSE 1 200 19-09-2026, 00:39
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Keb' Mo' - "the breakdown" CRAZY-HORSE 0 209 29-08-2026, 01:52
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Role Model - Chuck Timely & The Hourglass Music Head 0 208 22-08-2026, 11:27
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Jack White - "frozen charlotte" CRAZY-HORSE 1 447 25-07-2026, 11:43
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Rolling Stones - "foreign tongues" CRAZY-HORSE 5 865 23-07-2026, 12:09
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Pretty Reckless - Dear God Music Head 0 245 14-07-2026, 12:20
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Red Clay Strays - Grateful Music Head 2 538 13-07-2026, 08:50
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Green Desert Trees - "fighting dragons" CRAZY-HORSE 0 366 09-07-2026, 04:08
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Angine De Poitrine - "volume 2" CRAZY-HORSE 0 402 20-06-2026, 01:01
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Shinedown - EI8HT Music Head 1 615 12-06-2026, 11:53
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE

Forum Jump: