Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
[Image: 220px-Songs_from_a_room.jpg]

LEONARD COHEN "songs from a room" cd, 1969:

Leo's second album...
#63 in the US, #10 in his homeland and #2 in the UK...
Charlie Daniels appears on it, Croz produced a few tracks..
I own the first three plus his final album, love all of them

love this live version of my favourite track:

"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Al Stewart – Sparks of Ancient Light

[Image: 220px-Al_Stewart_Sparks_of_Ancient_Light_cover.jpg]

A history lesson from Mr Stewart, as always, according to whom these songs deal with certainty and uncertainty. Laurence Juber is brilliant – guitars and production/engineering and it’s always intriguing to see which direction Al’s heading off in - what has piqued his interest and imagination. In this case, the subject matter ranges impossibly widely – from Elvis to a football anti-hero, to the last Shah of Iran!! 

Drawn from the incident when Presley saw Stalin’s face in the clouds … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMOJr4MCsrk

The deposing of the Shah of Shahs …. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktnu45TFC9c

And I’ve no idea where we are here, but it’s “The Loneliest Place on the Map” …

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
[Image: 220px-The_Ghost_of_Tom_Joad.jpg]

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN "the ghost of Tom Joad" cd, 1995

revisiting an old friend today
The Boss' eleventh studio set
his second acoustic set, the first since 1980's "Nebraska"
not as catchy as the Nebraska
a sombre affair
not something fans wanted at the time but considered a Springsteen classic now
Woody Guthrie's influence is all over this one
a very good album that actually took me over a decade to appreciate fully
I LOVE THIS ALBUM

the title track:

They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Tongue 
Often folk music can be so ‘nice’ it’s nausiatingly sugar coated. This little bomb Joni Mitchell set off under the church of Rome in Ireland certainly wasn’t.

And this is the commercial release of the same song. It’s the only time I’ve ever encountered a Fairlight (?) sounding like steam, and claustrophobic steam at that. 

Maybe this little dittie doesn’t belong on this section of the forum but then again I’m hard pressed to guess where it does belong given it has so much in common with german art song (lieder).
In a way Joni’s music has always been with me but of late I find myself reduced to tears by so much of her work, especially this number.

Forum Moderation is often no more than small minded tyranny.
Video 
Not the best recording . The room is too closed in and ‘live’ - - - - fun anyway.

^^

nice clip

(19-10-2019, 09:47)CRAZY-HORSE Wrote: ^^

nice clip

The last from me. Sadly there’s something seriously odd about the software underlying this site. 
Norton’s, and a few other detection programs, are warning me to stay well away after running them over a number of different pages of Linux script that arrived on my Macs via your server.
That and a very unsatisfactory, ill-mannered and un-explained request from one of your moderators to not forward the evidence unfortunately has me depart.  
Thanks for all the clips.

In the end I overcame my hissy fit but I’m still wary of the software underlying this site. Fingers crossed it’s not trojan.

D M
Video 
Dead South is right, these guys need dance lessons and a few cocaine suppositories each. Somebody should have told the backing singers what key they were supposed to be singing in too. Mind you, the hippie with the long hair and beard can park his boots under my bed any day. 

Ye-Haw!

[Image: 220px-Almost_Blue_-_Elvis_Costello_and_t...ctions.jpg]

ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS "almost blue"

sixth album.
a country covers set.
mostly obscure tunes, especially to the UKer's who were never big on the genre
and on that basis it really could have been commercial suicide but it wasn't,
fans embraced it becoming his second biggest seller to date,
also contained his third most successful single to date in the George Jones cover
of Good Year For The Roses.
album sounds pretty relaxed and not forced, just like Declan and band belong there.
a very good album, but then again when has he not released a good album
I LOVE THIS ALBUM

Good Year For The Roses:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hBWBVVFA4c  video
and George Jones' original as a comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MtdYqaLe4w

my pick on this occasion:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Chris Thile - Thanks for Listening Ruby 3 1,853 30-01-2018, 21:15
Last Post: Ruby
  Johnny Flynn - Been Listening Music Head 1 1,914 01-11-2010, 19:29
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE