Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
NEW ALBUM: TORI AMOS ~ Ocean to Ocean
#1
TORIS AMOS ~ Ocean to Ocean

[Image: R-20768818-1635489570-1973.jpeg.jpg]

I cannot say exactly what Ms Amos is processing here, aside from the same stuff the entire world is grappling with, of course, but there’s also a definite autobiographical slant, sometimes blatantly evident, sometimes less so – sometimes surreal, sometimes lyrical. Her words can be almost like a trip of sorts, and I don’t mean a cruise, lol!

There are obvious references (although ‘obvious’ is something she can’t really be accused of being!), as in the title track, “Ocean to Ocean” which speaks to the perils of upsetting the balance of nature, and over consumption, and “29 Years” which is an acknowledgment of her marriage and the path travelled there, and there are montages of what seem to be inner snapshots – imaginings. She’s weighing in on getting a bit older, changes in relationships, the loss of those close to her, the state of the planet, the sorrows, and delights along the way, and while revealing her vulnerable self, more so perhaps than she has allowed herself to in the past, doing it all in most elegant fashion.

The album flows well and from what I can tell, is competently recorded – her husband Mark Hawley is responsible for that (and guitars) while she’s the producer. Their daughter provides additional vocals on some of the tracks so it’s a bit of a family affair. I suspect the use of vocal correction/enhancement software here and there, but I could be mistaken, and in any event, I also think that sometimes it can serve in achieving a desired effect - as opposed to gratuitous use throughout.

Nothing earth shattering (albeit a few funky moments), or achingly beautiful, (we live in hope!) but having said that, I suspect this release could be a grower. Not too huge a departure from her previous album, except it sounds more sober to me - more together and trimmed of frivolity – refined – a precisely wrapped gift. I like it.

A funky one - clever use of Chinese astrology as a premise for this - "Metal Water Wood" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryrnE4nYNYk

"Swim to New York State" ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baj7sf0u6QI

The title track ... 



"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Reply
#2
You really, really, really need to write a book. Seriously!
Somewhere between right and wrong there is a garden. I will meet you there - Rumi
Reply
#3
^^
yes, the words onthe page were masterfully written, so much so that i read the whole thing three times before i scrolled down.
GREAT STUFF AGAIN Ruby !
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
#4
^^Gee thanks guys. Not being falsely modest or anything, but I honestly don't see what you see!? These snippets keep me amused and out of trouble, although a bit of trouble now and then might be nice, lol! It's fun because I like what I'm talking about. May have a spot of bother getting past 500 words tho'.  Rolleyes
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Reply
#5
I did not want to admit it but I do exactly the same CH. I read all of Ruby's posts at least twice.
Somewhere between right and wrong there is a garden. I will meet you there - Rumi
Reply
#6
enters the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart at #104

courtesy of Spotify

16th album
classy as always

fav
the most up tempo
love the strings




Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Beabadoobee - Pylon Music Head 1 44 Yesterday, 11:51
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: The Tubs - "hard life" CRAZY-HORSE 3 143 29-09-2026, 10:43
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Interpol - This Mirror Weighs A Ton Music Head 2 132 27-09-2026, 18:08
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Alabama Shakes - I Must Be Dreaming Music Head 1 105 26-09-2026, 23:04
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW-ish ALBUM: Ecca Vandal - "looking for people to unfollow" CRAZY-HORSE 0 205 07-09-2026, 08:18
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Weezer - Weezer (Gold) Music Head 1 277 05-09-2026, 23:02
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Kasabian - "act III" CRAZY-HORSE 0 230 04-09-2026, 23:04
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Marilyn Manson - "one assassination under God: chapter 2 CRAZY-HORSE 1 339 29-08-2026, 11:39
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Phoebe Bridgers - Lost Weekend Music Head 0 243 27-08-2026, 11:32
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Waterparks - JINX Music Head 0 267 11-08-2026, 12:33
Last Post: Music Head

Forum Jump: