Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW ALBUM: ABBA ~ Voyage
ABBA ~ Voyage

[Image: R-20850085-1636195145-1913.jpeg.jpg]

Not quite what I expected. Although I’m not sure exactly what I was expecting! There are a few tracks that are catchy as hell and reminiscent of the ABBA that once was, but there are also a number of almost folk oriented songs, and one in particular that belongs in a risqué version of The Sound of Music if you ask me – the bizarre Christmassy “Little Things”! Lol! They tackle some heavy subject matter too – there is not a whole lot of joy in alcoholism, divorce, aging and regret, but that’s life, I guess, and there are very few of us who have not been touched by human failing, whether our own or that of others, or both! They manage to stick in a lament about the state of the planet for good measure as well, on “Bumblee”.

However, back to the music. If I recall correctly, Agnetha was first popular as a singer of Swedish songs and I know Benny also has roots steeped in tradition – perhaps they all do? There seems to be more of that coming through here than there was back in their heyday; a pronounced Swedishness which is hard to explain (unless you have met a few Swedes) - even in the lyrics - very little of the disco vibe although it does pop up now and then – pardon the pun!

Turned out to be quite an emotional listen in the end – this is no happy little reunion album. I was left feeling surprisingly sombre and serious, and I suppose it’s kinda fitting that it’s that way, after all. The girls’ harmonies are still lovely, the timbre of their voices a little deeper and while a tad ragged, always recognisable. There are sneaky little references to some of their well-known stuff – the arrangements and performances are spot on as might be expected – this is an album for a forgiving and mature listener, IMHO: a little cheesy with some odd sentiments, dated views on certain subjects and empty of future promise, but also warm, human, unapologetic and strangely endearing. Or maybe that’s just nostalgia talking – who knows??!

Tracklisting:
  1. "I Still Have Faith in You"
  2. "When You Danced with Me”
  3. "Little Things"
  4. "Don't Shut Me Down"
  5. "Just a Notion"
  6. "I Can Be That Woman"  
  7. "Keep an Eye on Dan"
  8. "Bumblebee”
  9. "No Doubt About It”
  10. "Ode to Freedom"
One that harks back ... "No Doubt About It" ... 

The final track that hits all the feely buttons despite the lyrics being a little cryptic ... 

After all that I was obliged to revisit one of my favourites ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz1wBYIudbA
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
^^

i thought is was a very good album.

it ticked all the boxes for remaining with that "true abba sound" intact for me.
theres some catchy pop, ballads, a guitar rocker where the 'boys' join in, and yes, a folky/celtic track or two...
the album would seem almost cringeworthy if they were still singing about "dancing queen" or "does your mother know",
i see it as a natural progression ie:
the 70s were songs of youth
the 80s were songs of love,pain and heartache (marriage and divorce)
the 20s are about looking back on their lives warts and all as they are looking back now theyre in their 70s...

the girl's vocals may be slightly deeper than they were forty years ago (but it is age relevant), and they have aged more gracefully than the vocals of male counterparts (Jagger, Elton, Macca, Rod etc etc....)

i believe they recorded the album using the same instruments they use to and the same studio to keep it authentic.
and IMO there is still magic when these four play together from the cohesive instrumentaions through to the gorgeous harmonies we know and expect from ABBA.

a very good album that doesnt diasappoint for me and holds its own against their back cataloue and doesnt diminish or tarnish their legacy
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

album debuts at #1 in 12 countries already,
i guess more countries will follow suit later in the week...

album sold 209,000 actual "physical copies" in the UK this week,
and almost 30K of those were vinyl.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

enters the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart at #2

courtesy of Spotify

40 year layoff
bet I don't see that again
what's not to like here
well there was 1 track, Keep An Eye On Dan
other than that an excellent album

single, fav
I can feel the disco when it kicks in

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Sabrina Carpenter - Short N' Sweet Music Head 0 113 04-09-2024, 12:30
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: KATSEYE - SIS (Soft Is Strong) (ep) Music Head 0 81 31-08-2024, 11:05
  NEW ALBUM: Camila Cabello - C,XOXO Music Head 0 238 11-07-2024, 11:48
  NEW ALBUM: Kehlani - Crash Music Head 1 284 05-07-2024, 13:38
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Nayeon - NA (ep) Music Head 0 232 29-06-2024, 11:05
  NEW ALBUM: Meghan Trainor - Timeless Music Head 1 871 20-06-2024, 22:38
  NEW ALBUM: Charli XCX - Brat Music Head 0 329 18-06-2024, 12:36
  NEW ALBUM: Chappell Roan - The Rise And Fall Of A Midwest Princess Music Head 1 696 13-06-2024, 11:48
  NEW ALBUM: New Kids On The Block - Still Kids Music Head 1 520 02-06-2024, 13:15
  NEW ALBUM: Sia - Reasonable Woman Music Head 3 593 18-05-2024, 03:31