Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
[Image: 612xT6Zhu-L._AC_UL320_.jpg]

FRANZ FERDINAND  "hits to the head" cd, 2022

twenty years worth of hits....
roughly twenty hits on here (out of 27 singles)...
always to hear so many good singles from one modern band...
a very good career spanning compilation, even the new tracks recorded for the album hold up against the known hits...
album would come in at 2.1 after ranking it, so very good overall but slightly disappointing for a compilation of hit singles...
I LIKE THIS ALBUM

the promo single for the album

"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

[Image: 220px-NirvanaNevermindalbumcover.jpg]

a revisit...
i was out of touch with it back in the day and still am,
i still rate Pearl Jam as a better band and Eddie Vedder as a better vocalist than Cobain.

best thing IMO:

They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

[Image: 220px-David_Bowie_-_Toy.png]

DAVID BOWIE  "toy" cd, 2021

i count this as a release this year because it was released here the first week of January to commemorate his birth/death anniversaries but was released in the UK just prior to Christmas in 2021 to cash in on the pre-Christmas gift market....
anyway, i have the three cd set entitled "toy box" which contains the album plus demos,remixes and the usual bonus extras...
the album was recorded in 2000 and is a collection of previously released tracks from his pre-fame days in the 1960s.
the tracks have been revamped to the modern era and are/were new to me as i was only familiar with a couple of the original versions..
a solid album of straight forward rock/soft rock but still Bowie sounding to be called 'alternative' to me...
not really a necessary Bowie release but an album of "lost songs" that fans would enjoy..
album rates a pretty good 2.0 for me
I LIKE THIS ALBUM

favourite (and well worth a misten if you are a fan of the man and his music)

[Image: 220px-Things_Are_Great_%28Band_of_Horses%29.png] 

BAND OF HORSES "things are great"  cd, 2022

alt rock band from Seattle..
their sixth, my fifth..
one of the consistent from the modern crop of artists IMO...
nothing great on here but nothing not to like.
not their best by any means but still pretty good scoring 1.8.

find out where the album ranks in my EOY list:  Crazy's 2022 purchases: (music-discussion.com)

I LIKE THIS ALBUM

[Image: 220px-Fontaines_D.C._-_Skinty_Fia.png]

FONTAINES D.C  "skinty fia"  cd/vinyl  2022

from Ireland
their third but my first...
been hearing shades of Joy Division, Smiths/Morrissey and Psychedelic Furs throughout this one...
loving the majority of the tracks here and liking the rest,
album rates a splendid 2.4 for me which means....
I LOVE THIS ALBUM

see where this album ranks on my EOY albums list here:  
Crazy's 2022 purchases: (music-discussion.com)

[Image: 220px-Rob_Zombie_-_Sinister_Urge.jpg]

ROB ZOMBIE  "the sinister urge"  cd, 2001

a revisit...
decided to deliberately pick this one due to the fact i really enjoyed the debut album over the weekend...
his second...
experts call this one "industrial metal" but i cannot hear any metal at all, more alternative to my ears....
sounds like Prodigy in places but either way, more commercially sounding than that debut album...
not as good but still pretty good...
I LIKE THIS ALBUM

favourite happens to have been released as a single:

[Image: 71a6N8M0vwL._AC_UL320_.jpg]

STRUMBELLAS  "rattlesnake" cd, 2019

a revisit.
from Ontario.
fourth album.
experts call them alt-folk but i hear pop, power-pop and alternative so alternative is where i have put it...
im hearing bits of Fun., Sheppard ('geronimo') and one or two others...
either way it is a pretty good album.
I LIKE THIS ALBUM

lead off single:

[Image: 81p7LaC6NkL._AC_UL320_.jpg]

PAUL WELLER  "will of the people" cd/vinyl 2022

not delivered as yet but listened to via Deezer...
released as a 3cd and 3LP box set...
a collection of b-sides, remixes, demo recordings and unreleased material from the last 20years...
a follow up to 2001's "fly on the wall" triple cd and vinyl boxsets...
90% of this is new for me as i havent bought a lot of his singles over the last 20 years, instead sticking to LP albums and cds...
31 trracks in total, nothing to attract new fans but plenty to keep the 'faithful' energized till the next studio release...
the first two cd's contain 12 tracks each whilst the final disk contains 7 tracks...
i will post a track from each disc/LP...
all up a set that will take longer than a couple of listens to digest but at this moment it would score 2.1 which means
I LIKE THIS ALBUM

pick of the tracks from the first disc:

an R+B vibe to this one:

pick of the tracks from the second disc/LP

a gorgeous folk tinged tune:

from the 3rd disc/LP

this one could be real grower over time.
a string quartet, two acoustic guitars and vocals...

[Image: 220px-A_Light_for_Attracting_Attention_%...art%29.png]

THE SMILE  "a light for attracting attention"  2022

i dont own this but it was recommended to me by my daughter last night so i gave it a whirl,
the, as i am checking out those EOY lists from music publications this one ended up the "album of the year" from UNCUT...
so, my daughter did not tell me this was a side project for Thom Yorke and two other Radiohead members, had she had done so then i
would not have given it the time of day...SHE FOOLED ME BIGTIME! (knowing i dislike Radiohead with a passion)
typical boring stuff from Thom as expected but at least there are a few upbeat tunes including something that has a funky vibe and another which has a post-punk feel to it, still, i cannot disassociate Radiohead from what is contained within and thus,
I DO NOT LIKE THIS ALBUM

the lead off single:

[Image: 61F+yf1dHAL._AC_UY218_.jpg]

SASAMI  "squeeze"  2022

from one of the EOY lists...
from LaLa Land...
classically trained on the French Horn and performed in various Orchestras...
also plays guitar, keyboards and bass...
second album...
opens up with something that wouldnt sound out of place on a Marilyn Manson album..
quickly evolves into rock and a ballad, alternative and hits of pop/country and a classical instrumental piece...
a solid album every bit as good as the cover art IMO
I LOVE THIS ALBUM

one of the singles: "make it right"  SASAMI - Make It Right (Official Video) - YouTube

simply gorgeous voice on this one: